Near Delaware City in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Pea Patch Island
During the Civil War, Pea Patch Island was only about 75 acres in size (compared with almost 300 acres today). Earth dredged up from the river was dumped onto the island and around it in 1906, giving it the size we know today.
Erected by Delaware State Parks.
Location. 39° 35.144′ N, 75° 34.321′ W. Marker is near Delaware City, Delaware, in New Castle County. Touch for map. Marker is located on Pea Patch Island, near the boat dock. Marker is in this post office area: Delaware City DE 19706, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Batteries Hentig and Dodd (approx. 0.3 miles away); Sally Port (approx. 0.3 miles away); W. Emerson Wilson (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Diving Bell (approx. one mile away); Delaware Historic Civil Engineering Landmark Christ Episcopal Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Old Delaware City Public School (approx. 1.4 miles away); Pea Patch Island Heronry (approx. 1.5 miles away in New Jersey). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Delaware City.
More about this marker. The right of the marker contains a map of Pea Patch Island indicating the location of Fort Delaware and the Confederate prisoner barracks.
Also see . . . Fort Delaware State Park. (Submitted on August 12, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Natural Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 12, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,090 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 12, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.