Stafford in Stafford County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
In the Name of Christ the King
(Plaques on front) That the beauty of His countenance be not hidden from His own. That His wounds and woe wherein He wrote his love be known to all the people He redeemed.
—Inscription by Father Walter Nott (1891–1932)
Erected 1930 by Catholic Women’s Club of Richmond, VA.
Location. 38° 28.524′ N, 77° 23.573′ W. Marker is in Stafford, Virginia, in Stafford County. Marker is on Jefferson Davis Highway (U.S. Rt 1), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stafford VA 22554, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Roman Catholic Settlement in Virginia (here, next to this marker); Historic Aquia Creek Fleurries (approx. one mile away); Aquia Church (approx. one mile away); Little Forest Baptist Church (approx. 1˝ miles away); Peyton’s Ordinary (approx. 1.7 miles away); Mary Kittamaquund (approx. 1.8 miles away); Island Ownership (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stafford.
More about this marker. The Aquia Crucifix Monument on U.S. 1 (Jefferson Davis Highway) north of Aquia was created by Georg J. Lober and erected in 1930. The monument was made in honor of the Brent colony, one of the first examples of religious freedom in the new world. The monument honors the first English Roman Catholic settlers in Virginia who practiced religion on the Brenton Tract - a 30,000-acre plot.
Regarding In the Name of Christ the King. Colonel Giles Brent of Maryland and his Piscataway Indian wife settled at the mouth of Aquia Creek in 1647. His sisters Margaret and Mary joined them. Margaret Brent was a prominent landowner and attorney, a remarkable achievement for a woman of that time.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Events • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 27, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,830 times since then and 162 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 27, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.