Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Hebrew Cemetery

 
 
Hebrew Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, September 20, 2009
1. Hebrew Cemetery Marker
Inscription. Richmondís Hebrew Cemetery was established in the early 19th century by Congregation Beth Shalome, which was formed by 1789 and merged with Congregation Beth Ahabah in 1898. The cemetery was listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register and National Register of Historic Places in 2006. It is the oldest active Jewish cemetery in the south. Many leading Richmond merchants, civic leaders, and rabbis are interred here. Hebrew Cemetery displays traditional Jewish burial ground characteristics in its overall simplicity of plan and marker decoration, yet also contains more decorative elements. A rare military burial ground section contains the graves of thirty Jewish Confederate soldiers.
 
Erected 2009 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number SA 2.)
 
Location. 37° 33.122′ N, 77° 25.797′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Hospital Street and North 4th Street, on the right when traveling west on Hospital Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23219, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shockoe Hill Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Shockoe Hill Cemetery
Hebrew Cemetery Marker on Hospital Street image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, September 20, 2009
2. Hebrew Cemetery Marker on Hospital Street
(about 300 feet away); Union POW Memorial (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Shockoe Hill Cemetery (about 400 feet away); Brown's Island Disaster (about 400 feet away); "The Great Chief Justice" (about 500 feet away); Engine Company No. 9 Fire Station (approx. 0.3 miles away); Saint Joseph Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
 
Also see . . .  Hebrew Cemetery. Congregation Beth Ahabah (Submitted on September 21, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesWar, US Civil
 
Confederate Soldiers Section image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, September 20, 2009
3. Confederate Soldiers Section
This rare military burial ground section contains the graves of thirty Jewish Confederate soldiers.
Confederate Soldiers Section. image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, September 20, 2009
4. Confederate Soldiers Section.
The ornamental iron fence features stacked rifles and crossed sabers.
Hebrew Confederate Soldiers Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, September 20, 2009
5. Hebrew Confederate Soldiers Marker
To the glory of God and and in memory of the Hebrew Confederate Soldiers resting in this hallowed spot. M. Aaron, Henry Adler, M. Bachrach, S. Bachrach, Sam Bear, I. Cohen, Jacob Cohen, Henry Cohen, Corp. G. Eiseman, T. Foltz, J. Frank, Henry Gersberg, A. Heyman, I. Hessberg, H. Jacobs, M. Levy, Lt. L.S. Lipman, A. Lehman, E.B. Miller, S. Oury, A. Robinson, J. Rosenberg, Jonathan Sheur, E.J. Sampson, Isaac Seldner, Unknown Soldier, C. Wolfe, Lt. W.M. Wolff, S. Weiss, Julius Zark. Erected by Hebrew Ladies Memorial Asso. Richmond Va. Organized 1866. H. Gersberg should correctly read Henry Gintzberger.
The Hebrew Confederate Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, September 20, 2009
6. The Hebrew Confederate Cemetery
This section placed under perpetual care. May 15, 1930. By Hebrew Ladies Memorial Association.

The individual grave markers were replaced by a single granite marker in the 1950s. The cemetery is maintained by Congregation Beth Ahabah.
Hebrew Cemetery and Old City Alms House image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, September 20, 2009
7. Hebrew Cemetery and Old City Alms House
Hebrew Confederate Soldiers Cemetery, (North 5th St.,) Richmond, Va. image. Click for full size.
By Southern Bargain House, circa 1912
8. Hebrew Confederate Soldiers Cemetery, (North 5th St.,) Richmond, Va.
This section of the [beautiful] Cemetery located at the extreme end of North 5th St., is [unreadable] of the Hebrew Ladies Memorial Association of Richmond. Here are the remains of many Jewish heroes who fell in the Civil War. [Note the original individual markers are in place.] VCU Libraries Digital Collections - Rarely Seen Richmond
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 21, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,161 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on September 21, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement