Vincennes in Knox County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Born circa 1801, Clark, a slave, was purchased in Kentucky in 1814 by B. J. Harrison, brought to Vincennes in 1815, and indentured as his servant. In 1816, G.W. Johnston purchased her indenture for 20 years. In 1821, Clark and attorney Amory Kinney petitioned Knox County Circuit Court to terminate her indenture because she was held illegally “as a slave.”
Erected 2009 by Indiana Historical Bureau and Brewer Family & Friends. (Marker Number 42.2009.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 38° 40.578′ N, 87° 31.603′ W. Marker is in Vincennes, Indiana, in Knox County. Marker is on North 8th Street south of Broadway Street, on the right when traveling south Touch for map. located on the South/East corner of the Knox County Courthouse in Vincennes, Indiana (a few steps from the parking lot.). Marker is in this post office area: Vincennes IN 47591, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Knox County Veterans Memorial Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Knox County (Indiana) Gold Star Honor Roll (within shouting distance of this marker); Knox County (Indiana) Civil War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Presbyterian Church In Indiana Territory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Synod of Indiana of the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cradle of Freemasonry in Indiana (approx. 0.2 miles away); Vincennes' Carnegie Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); Niblack Mansion (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vincennes.
Also see . . . Photos of Dedication (Courtesy - Indiana Historical Bureau):. (Submitted on January 20, 2013, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Abolition & Underground RR • Civil Rights • Heroes • Notable Events • Notable Persons • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 12, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,364 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on October 12, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.