Fairfax, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Over 200 years ago, family patriarch Rezin Willcoxon moved here from Prince Georges County, Maryland. By the Civil War, his extended family owned most of the acreage along today’s Old Lee Highway. A labor force, including a small number of African-American slaves, aided the family’s growing prosperity.
During the Civil War, Union soldiers camped and convalesced here, interrupting life for the Willcoxons, and leaving behind signatures and pictographs on the farmhouse walls. Preserved by Willcoxon descendants until the last family owner died in 1997, the evocative power of these writings prompted local citizens to lobby to save Blenheim as an historic site.
The City of Fairfax purchased the c.1859 Blenheim House and surrounding 12 acres for $2.2 million in 1999 and undertook a process of stabilization, conservation, and restoration that continues today. Completion of the Civil War Interpretive Center in 2008 ensures that the process of discovery and education at Blenheim will continue for many future generations.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Northern Virginia Civil War Graffiti Trail marker series.
Location. Touch for map. The marker is located at the Civil War Interpretive Center at Historic Blenheim. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3610 Old Lee Highway, Fairfax VA 22030, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blenheim (Willcoxon Farm) (a few steps from this marker); Dairy Barn Complex (within shouting distance of this marker); Blenheim House (within shouting distance of this marker); Fairfax (approx. 0.8 miles away); Historic Fairfax Elementary School (approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Baptismal Area (approx. 0.8 miles away); Pozer Garden (was approx. 0.9 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Draper House (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairfax.
More about this marker. On the right side of the marker is a photograph captioned Mural: View of Blenheim captures the house, complex of farm buildings, and fields c.1940. On the lower right of the marker are two additional photographs captioned Left: Barbara Duras Elizabeth drives one of the family's first tractors in the early 1940s. and Right: An unidentified soldier-artist drew this cannon on the attic wall in the Blenheim House.
Also see . . .
1. Civil War Interpretive Center at Historic Blenheim. (Submitted on November 18, 2009.)
2. Historic Blenheim & Civil War Interpretive Center. (Submitted on November 18, 2009.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 18, 2009. This page has been viewed 1,537 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 18, 2009. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.