Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Winchester in Franklin County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Mary Sharp College

 
 
Mary Sharp College Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Gillard, December 12, 2009
1. Mary Sharp College Marker
Inscription. This college, devoted exclusively to the higher education of women, first opened its doors Jan. 1, 1851. It was named for one of its principal benefactors. It suspended from 1861 to 1865, the buildings being used by Federal troops. Reopening in 1865, it finally closed its doors in 1896.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2E 28.)
 
Location. 35° 11.106′ N, 86° 6.6′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Tennessee, in Franklin County. Marker is on South College Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winchester TN 37398, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Mary Sharp College (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel James Lewis (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memory of Our Franklin County War Dead (about 700 feet away); James Winchester (about 800 feet away); Secession (approx. 0.2 miles away); Built 1914 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Winchester's Civil War Sites (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tullahoma Campaign (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
 
Additional comments.
Mary Sharp Elementary School image. Click for full size.
By Tom Gillard, December 12, 2009
2. Mary Sharp Elementary School
1. Mary Sharp College marker location
The building where the marker is located is now the Franklin County Board of Education.
    — Submitted June 5, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama.

 
Categories. EducationWar, US Civil
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 13, 2009, by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 1,381 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 13, 2009, by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement