Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Winchester, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Braddock Cannon

 
 
Left Side image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 26, 2007
1. Left Side
Inscription. (Left Side): This monument marks the trail taken by the army of General Braddock, which left Alexandria April 9, 1755 to defend the western frontier against the French and Indians.

Erected by the Society of Colonial Dames of America in the State of Virginia, May 27, 1915

(Right Side): The cannon here used was abandoned by General Braddock at old Alexandria 1755. The stones of the pedestal are from
1. The Blue Ridge. 2. The Shenandoah River.
3. Shawnee Springs. 4. Jost Hite’s Fort.
5. Old Opequon Presbyterian Church yard.
6. Glen Burnie, home of Col. Jas. Wood.
7. Greenway Court, home of Lord Fairfax.
8. Grave of Gen’l Adam Stephen, Martinsburg.
9. Fort Loudoun, built by Gen’l Washington.
10. Old Lutheran Church in Mt. Hebron.
 
Erected 1915 by Society of Colonial Dames of America.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Braddock’s Road and Maj. Gen. Edward Braddock, and the National Society of Colonial Dames of America marker series.
 
Location. 39° 10.949′ N, 78° 10.057′ W. Marker is in Winchester, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Cork Street and Braddock Street (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling west on Cork Street. Touch for map. Located
Right Side image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 26, 2007
2. Right Side
The origin list of the stones reads like a "Tour Guide" for the early history of the lower Shenandoah Valley.
on the north courtyard of the George Washington’s Office Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 32 West Cork Street, Winchester VA 22601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Washington’s Office (here, next to this marker); George Washington (a few steps from this marker); Braddock Street Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Godfrey Miller Home (about 600 feet away); Little-Holiday House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thomas, Sixth Lord Fairfax of Cameron (approx. 0.2 miles away); A View of Winchester in 1745 - The Four Public Lots (approx. 0.2 miles away); Taylor Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Frederick County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Second Battle of Winchester (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winchester.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. The link is for another of Braddock's Cannons.
 
Also see . . .  George Washington's Office Museum. From the Winchester-Frederick County Historical Society. (Submitted on September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraWar, French and Indian
 
Braddock Cannon Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 26, 2007
3. Braddock Cannon Marker
The Braddock Cannon image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, August 26, 2007
4. The Braddock Cannon
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,371 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 23, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement