Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Suffolk, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Nansemond Indian Villages

 
 
Nansemond Indian Villages Marker image. Click for full size.
By Laura Troy, September 23, 2007
1. Nansemond Indian Villages Marker
Inscription. The principal villages of the Nansemond Indians stood just east of here on the Nansemond River. The Nansemonds fought frequently with the English colonists who arrived in 1607 as the Indians resisted the newcomers’ attempts to occupy their villages and seize their corn. Two major periods of hostility occurred in 1609 and again after Opechancanough’s coordinated assault on the English settlements on 22 Mar. 1622–1632. Sir George Yeardley retaliated for the assault by burning the Nansemond villages and destroying their cornfields. The surviving Nansemonds scattered, their power broken
 
Erected 1998 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K250.)
 
Location. 36° 51.097′ N, 76° 35.372′ W. Marker is in Suffolk, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Goodwin Boulevard (Virginia Route 32) and Everetts (Local Route 603), on the left when traveling north on Goodwin Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Suffolk VA 23434, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. John's Church ( approx. 1.6 miles away); Dumpling Island ( approx. 1.8 miles away); Isle of Wight County / Nansemond County ( approx. 2.1 miles away); James Bowser Plantation ( approx. 4.4 miles away); African American Oystermen ( approx. 5.1 miles away); James Bowser, Revolutionary Soldier ( approx. 5.3 miles away); Sleepy Hole Ferry ( approx. 5.3 miles away); Yeates School ( approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Suffolk.
 
Categories. Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,016 times since then and 171 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on September 23, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement