Glen Allen in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
A Place to Meet, A Sense of Community
In 1909, Jacob E. Lewis, an African-American farmer and preacher, bought Echo Lake and established it as a recreation area for African-Americans. After his death, there were unsuccessful attempts by commercial organizations to continue Lewis’ vision. In 1930, a group of area residents joined to create Echo Lake, Inc., and bought the property. Throughout the decade, the lake and grounds became a popular destination for dances, picnics, boat rides, sporting activities and camping for the Black community. Church congregations including Mt. Olive Baptist, Mount Vernon Baptist, and Abner Baptist gathered for baptisms on Sunday mornings.
During a period of strict racial segregation, Echo Lake provided a place for African-Americans to meet, recreate and relax. Many locals remember the “tightness of the community” that was the result of having a place to congregate and discuss the news. Others remember the music and dancing that abounded with the talents of the Johnson’s Happy Pals Orchestra. This ten-member group of black Richmond
By 1940, much of the activity had subsided except for fishing, picnics and an occasional baptism. The County of Henrico purchased the property in 1981 and developed the site as a public park with a 1.5-mile hiking trail, pedestrian bridge, playground and picnic shelter.
Erected by County of Henrico.
Location. 37° 40.461′ N, 77° 32.847′ W. Marker is in Glen Allen, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker can be reached from Springfield Road 0.2 miles east of Echo Lake Drive. Touch for map. This marker is located above the parking lot in Echo Lake Park. Marker is in this post office area: Glen Allen VA 23060, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Coal Pit School (approx. ¾ mile away); Hanover County / Henrico County (approx. 0.9 miles away); Courtney Road Service Station (approx. 1.6 miles away); a different marker also named Courtney Road Service Station (approx. 1.6 miles away); Meadow Farm Meadow Farm (approx. 1.7 miles away); Sheppard and Baker's Grant (approx. 1.7 miles away); Box Car (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glen Allen.
More about this marker. On the upper right is a photo of a "Baptism of Mt. Olive Baptist Church members at Echo Lake, Sunday, Sept. 25th, 1938. Photo by A.D. Price, Jr., courtesy of Esther Winston"
On the lower right is a photo of children in the "Echo Lake Pleasure Boat, ca. 1935. Left to right: Julia Melton Thornton, Herman D. Melton, Jr. and Camilla Melton Miller, Julia Melton and Herman D. Melton, Sr. Courtesy of Julia Melton Thornton"
Categories. • 20th Century • African Americans • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 2, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,472 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 2, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.