Nacogdoches in Nacogdoches County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The architecture of this dwelling is representative of a traditional house form of Anglo settlers in East Texas. It features gable end chimneys, slightly tapered square columns and balustrade, and paneled shutters. It is possible that this restored structure dates prior to 1827, but it is more probable, because of its Anglo characteristics, to have been constructed during Durst's tenure.
Subsequent owners of the house include: Issac W. Burton, veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto; Bennett Blake, delegate to the 1875 Constitutional Convention; Thomas J. Rusk, signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence and one of Texas' first two United States Senators; and William Ochiltree, member of the Provisional Congress of the Confederacy.
Lawrence S. Taylor (1842-1925), Civil War veteran and Nacogdoches County clerk, acquired the property in 1870. The property remained in the Taylor family until 1989.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1955.
Location. 31° 36.338′ N, 94° 39.296′ W. Marker is in Nacogdoches, Texas, in Nacogdoches County. Marker can be reached from 304 North Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Nacogdoches TX 75961, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the home of James Dill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First United Methodist Church of Nacogdoches (about 400 feet away); Milam Lodge #2, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Texas (about 600 feet away); Thomas Jefferson Rusk (about 700 feet away); Old Spanish Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Charles S. Taylor (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nacogdoches Federal Building / Post Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); William ("Bill") Goyens (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nacogdoches.
Categories. • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 7, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 935 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 7, 2010, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Readable pictures of the other markers on the Durst-Taylor House site. • Can you help?