Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jim Thorpe in Carbon County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Carbon County

 
 
Carbon County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., June 20, 2010
1. Carbon County Marker
Inscription. Formed March 13, 1843 from Northampton and Monroe counties. Carbon is the basic element of this area's rich deposits of anthracite coal. The county seat, incorporated in 1850 as Mauch Chunk, was renamed in 1954 for Jim Thorpe, Indian athlete.
 
Erected 1982 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 40° 51.825′ N, 75° 44.274′ W. Marker is in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania, in Carbon County. Marker is on Hazard Square just north of Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jim Thorpe PA 18229, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Soldiers and Sailors Monument (a few steps from this marker); The Self Made Man (a few steps from this marker); Packer Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); Anthracite (within shouting distance of this marker); From Mountain to Market (within shouting distance of this marker); Mauch Chunk Railroad Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Molly Maguire Executions (approx. half a mile away); Colonel Jacob Weiss Monument (approx. 2.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jim Thorpe.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this
Carbon County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., June 20, 2010
2. Carbon County Marker
marker. A marker for Jim Thorpe at the location for the old Indian School in Carlisle, Pennsylvania
 
Also see . . .  Carbon County - Behind the Marker. ExplorePAHistory.com (Submitted on July 14, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.) 
 
Categories. EnvironmentNative AmericansNatural ResourcesNotable PersonsPolitical Subdivisions
 
Carbon County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., June 20, 2010
3. Carbon County Marker
View is from the intersection of Broadway and Susquehanna Street. The clock tower on the left is part of the Carbon County Courthouse. The marker is out of view behind the Do Not Enter sign on the left, between the clock tower and the Soldiers and Sailors Monument.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 22, 2010, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 601 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 22, 2010, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Paid Advertisement