Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

German-American Club

 
 
German-American Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 28, 2010
1. German-American Club Marker
Inscription. Organized in 1901, the German-American Club was one of the few non-latin ethnic clubs in Tampa. Club members laid the cornerstone for a building on the northeast corner of Nebraska Avenue and 11th Avenue on February 23, 1908, followed by a grand opening on January 1, 1909. Fine classical details and proportions marked the three-story building, with concrete block molded to appear as tooled stone masonry. With a stage for speakers or theatrical productions, a swimming pool and a bowling alley, the building served Tampa's German and Jewish population until its sale in 1919. From 1919 to 1924, it housed Tampa's Labor Temple Association. The Young Men's Hebrew Association bought the building in 1924 and remained until 1944. Focusing on education and recreation for Tampa's Jewish community, the association held gym, art, and music classes, and outdoor sports and leisure activities. Various groups, including an insurance company and the Hispanic organization, Los Caballeros de la Luz, occupied the building after 1944.
 
Erected 1998 by The City of Tampa
Ybor City Development Corporation
and Florida Department of State,
Sandra B. Mortham, Secretary of State. (Marker Number F-384.)
 
Location. 27° 57.806′ N, 82° 
German-American Club and Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 28, 2010
2. German-American Club and Marker
27.067′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is at the intersection of North Nebraska Avenue and East 11th Avenue, on the right when traveling north on North Nebraska Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2105 North Nebraska Avenue, Tampa FL 33605, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. El Centro Asturiano de Tampa (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Washington Junior High School (approx. mile away); Greater New Salem Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Buffalo Soldiers in Tampa Heights (approx. 0.3 miles away); Ybor City Historic District (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sociedad La Union Marti~Maceo (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rough Riders (approx. 0.4 miles away); La Casa de Pedroso (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
 
Regarding German-American Club. The German-American Club building is a contributing structure within the Ybor City Historic District (a National Historic Landmark District).

Currently, the building houses the City of Tampa Ybor Service Center.
 
Additional keywords. Ybor City Historic District
 
Categories. 20th CenturyEducationFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsIndustry & CommerceLabor UnionsNotable BuildingsSports
 
German-American Club image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 28, 2010
3. German-American Club
Building's front facade along North Nebraska Avenue
"Mothers of the World" sculpture at the German-American Club image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 28, 2010
4. "Mothers of the World" sculpture at the German-American Club
The sculpture was erected at the building's corner during the period when it was home to Los Caballeros de La Luz (English: The Knights of Light). The plaque mounted at the bottom reads:
"Orden-Caballero de La Luz" Inc.

Honor to Mothers of the World
Honramos "Dia de Las Madres"
Mayo 9, 1948

(English:We honor Mothers Day, May 9, 1948)
Dixie Life and Health Insurance Company Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, July 2, 2010
5. Dixie Life and Health Insurance Company Marker
Just behind the German-American Club Marker, in the wall along the main exterior stairway, is mounted this marker from the period in the building's history when it was home to an insurance company. It reads:
Dixie Life
and
Health Insurance Company
Home Office Building
Established Feb. 1945
Building Purchased
Sept. 1949
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,779 times since then and 96 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 28, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.   5. submitted on July 2, 2010, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement