Near Chatsworth in Murray County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Federal Road
The trace, which followed the course of an early Indian trading path to Augusta, became a noted route down which Kentucky and Tennessee cattlemen drove stock to markets in Georgia and South Carolina.
The site called “Bloodtown” was a resting point for stock drovers.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 105-7.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 38.132′ N, 84° 41.518′ W. Marker is near Chatsworth, Georgia, in Murray County. Marker is on Old U.S. 411 0.8 miles south of Coniston Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chatsworth GA 30705, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Gilmer (approx. 2 miles away); De Soto in Georgia (approx. 2.2 miles away); Forks of the Old Federal Road (approx. 4.9 miles away); Old Holly Creek P.O. (approx. 8 miles away); Field's Mill & Ferry (approx. 9.4 miles away); Mystery Shrouds Fort Mountain (approx. 9.9 miles away); Murray County (approx. 10.1 miles away); Legends of Fort Mountain (approx. 10.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chatsworth.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 458 times since then and 22 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on August 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?