Milwaukee in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Saint John's Inﬁrmary
Wisconsinís First Public Hospital – 1848
St. Johnís original location was the southeast corner of Jackson and Wells Streets. In 1855 it was moved downtown, and, in 1858 was built on this site on three acres given by the City. The name was changed to St. Maryís Hospital.
It was also a Marine Hospital for Great Lakes seamen. During the Civil War, the sisters cared for as many as 110 casualties at one time. A famed chief surgeon here was Dr. Erastus B. Wolcott. His achievements included the first recorded kidney removal on June 4, 1861.
Erected 1966 by The State Medical Society of Wisconsin. (Marker Number 155.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° 3.609′ N, 87° 52.805′ W. Marker is in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in Milwaukee County. Marker is at the intersection of North Lake Drive and East North Avenue, North Lake Drive, on the right when traveling Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milwaukee WI 53202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old North Point Water Tower (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Mary's School of Nursing (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Villa Terrace (approx. 0.2 miles away); Milwaukee River Flushing Pump (approx. 0.6 miles away); North Point Light Station (approx. 0.6 miles away); Charles Allis House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Civil War Camp (approx. 0.7 miles away); Prehistoric Burial Mound (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milwaukee.
Categories. • Science & Medicine • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 26, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,038 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on October 27, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 26, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.