Near Veedersburg in Fountain County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Alanson Savage built steam saw mill produced timbers for “Plank Road” — 1840.
Rev. Jones organized Methodist Church — 1852.
Early Families: Furrs, Booes, Glasscocks.
Four Schools: Log — 1848, Frame — 1864, Brick — 1875, Three Room Brick — 1900-1932.
Erected 1976 by Fountain County Historical Society.
Location. 40° 2.592′ N, 87° 14.613′ W. Marker is near Veedersburg, Indiana, in Fountain County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 41 and State Road 32, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 41. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Veedersburg IN 47987, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Van Buren Township, Bonebrake Corner (approx. 2.7 miles away); Wabash Township (approx. 3.8 miles away); Veedersburg (approx. 4.9 miles away); Veedersburg - VanBuren Township War Memorial (approx. 4.9 miles away); Veedersburg Memorial Park (approx. 4.9 miles away); Lee and Mike Ramsey Nineteenth Century Functional Commercial Building (approx. 4.9 miles away); Booe - Inlow - d'Arlier Cultural Center (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Veedersburg.
Regarding Millcreek Township. Steam Corner offered early farmers and the community a place well situated with transportation, farm community, and a water source for steam threshing tactors to work.
Threshing rings would organize at harvest time at Steam Corner for mutual assistance and to help other farmers to thresh their wheat crop. They also aided in community socialization with music, information, and a good times.
Also see . . . Steam Threshing. This "YouTube" video gives a taste of the danger and excitement of working with the old steam farm equipment. (Submitted on February 12, 2009, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Education • Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2007, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,767 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 29, 2007, by Al Wolf of Veedersburg, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.