Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
—Battle of Lynchburg —
The next morning, June 18, Union forces assaulted Early’s lines with little success along the Lynchburg-Salem Turnpike (Fort Ave.), at Fort McCausland on Early’s right; and along Fishing Creek (Lynchburg Expressway) on Early’s left. Federal artillery bombarded the Confederate center, but Early surprised Hunter with an assault west of the turnpike in the afternoon, and the resulting confusion caused Hunter to pause. Returning to Sandusky that evening, he ordered a retreat that occurred during the night.
Charles Johnson built Sandusky about 1808 and named it for the Ohio Indian camp where he was once held prisoner. The house was among the first in the area to display the elegant details of refined Federal architecture. Among Hunter’s staff members here were future presidents Rutherford B. Hayes and William McKinley.
Erected by Virginia Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 37° 22.807′ N, 79° 11.778′ W. Marker is in Lynchburg, Virginia. Marker is on Sandusky Drive, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. This marker is at historic Sandusky, on Sandusky Drive, 1/3 mile west of US BUS 460. Marker is at or near this postal address: 757 Sandusky Drive, Lynchburg VA 24502, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lynchburg (here, next to this marker); Quaker Meeting House (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Sandusky (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Quaker Meeting House (approx. half a mile away); 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry (approx. 0.6 miles away); Grave of John Lynch (approx. 0.6 miles away); Samuel Miller (approx. 1.4 miles away); Fort Early (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lynchburg.
More about this marker. In the right center a portrait of George Hutter carries the caption, "At the time of the Battle of Lynchburg, retired U.S. Army paymaster George C. Hutter and his family were living
On the lower left next to his portrait is this short biography of General Hunter: Gen. David Hunter (1802-86) was given command of the Army of West Virginia after Gen. Franz Sigel’s defeat at New Market. A West Point graduate, Hunter served as paymaster in the Mexican War and accompanied Abraham Lincoln to his inauguration. Relieved after the Lynchburg campaign, Hunter served on the Lincoln assassination commission and retired in 1866.
A map showing the unit dispositions during the battle is on the right side.
Regarding Sandusky. This is one in a series of Civil War Trails markers interpreting the Battle of Lynchburg (17-18 June 1864) and the city's role in the Civil War. Select the Civil War Virtual Tour by Marker link below to see other related markers.
Also see . . .
1. Historic Sandusky Foundation. (Submitted on December 3, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. Civil War Lynchburg Virtual Tour by Markers. An eight stop Civil War Trails tour, with several Virginia state markers and other memorials added. (Submitted on December 8, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on December 2, 2007, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 2,127 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 2, 2007, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.