Annandale in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Gooding Tavern served Little River Turnpike travelers and stagecoach passengers from 1807-1879 and was famous for “the best fried chicken” and “peaches and honey.” For the community, the tavern served as a social and commercial gathering place. The Goodings also operated a blacksmith shop and stable. Several Civil War skirmishes occurred around the tavern. On 24 August 1863, Confederate partisan ranger Major John S. Mosby was severely wounded by the Union 2nd Massachusetts Cavalry. Two of his officers were killed and three men wounded. Union losses included two killed, three wounded and nine prisoners taken. The tavern burned down in 1879.
Erected 2011 by The Fairfax County History Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Virginia, Fairfax County History Commission marker series.
Location. 38° 50.205′ N, 77° 14.201′ W. Marker is in Annandale, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is on Little River Turnpike (Virginia Route 236) east of Wakefield Chapel Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is just outside the boundaries of the Pleasant Valley Memorial Park, across the LRT from the campus of the Northern Virginia
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Guinea Road Cemetery Reinterment (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ilda (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Pines (approx. 1.3 miles away); Mosby Attacks Annandale (approx. 1.3 miles away); Burke’s Station Raid (approx. 1.8 miles away); Ravensworth (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named Ravensworth (approx. 2.1 miles away); Little River Turnpike (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Annandale.
Additional keywords. Ilda
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Notable Persons • Notable Places • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on July 3, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,012 times since then and 159 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 3, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.