Near Santa Fe in Santa Fe County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Three Wise Women
Eva Scott Fenyes, 1849-1930
Leonora Scott Muse Curtin, 1879-1972
Three generations of one family worked more than 100 years to preserve the cultural heritage of New Mexico. Eva Fenyes created an artistic and photographic record of missions and adobe buildings, and preserved Spanish Colonial and Native American crafts. Leonora S. M. Curtin wrote Healing Herbs of the Upper Rio Grande, which documented the ethnobotany of the region and the plants used by traditional healers.
Leonora Curtin Paloheimo, 1903-1999
Leonora Curtin Paloheimo worked to preserve New Mexico's varied cultures. She researched Native American languages for the Smithsonian. During the Depression, she founded The Native Market as an outlet for Spanish American artisans who handcrafted traditional furniture and household items. She and her Finnish husband, George Paloheimo, established New Mexico's first living history museum, El Rancho de las Golondrinas, in 1972.
Erected by New Mexico Historic Preservation Division.
Location. 35° 31.646′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Santa Fe NM 87508, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sisters of Charity (here, next to this marker); Maria Gertrudis Barceló (here, next to this marker); Laura Gilpin (1891-1979) (here, next to this marker); Bicentennial Celebration / La Bajada (a few steps from this marker); Amelia Elizabeth White / Mary Cabot Wheelwright (a few steps from this marker); Gold and Turquoise (within shouting distance of this marker); Golondrinas Old Cienega Village Museum (approx. 4.1 miles away); Welcome to the Cerrillos Hills State Park (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Fe.
Categories. • Notable Persons • Women •
More. Search the internet for Three Wise Women.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on August 3, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 560 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 3, 2011, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.