Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Dr. Seth French (1824~1896)
Born in Potsdam, New York on May 2, 1824, French served as a Surgeon with the 21st and 35th New York Regiments, New York Volunteers during the early years of the Civil War. In 1863 he moved to Eau Clair, Wisconsin but susceptibility to rheumatism caused him to seek a warmer climate. French arrived in Sanford in the early 1870's coming up the St. Johns River on the steamship, Darlington. Soon thereafter, he bought 20 acres of land and built his house which stood on this land from 1872 until 1954. Part of the land was later donated by his son for a school on this site and the State Farmers Market. The street on which both are located has been known as French Avenue for many years.
In 1876, Dr. French moved to Orange City in Volusia County and became involved in promoting the early settlement of the community. He served as a member of the Florida Senate in 1879 representing Volusia County and was appointed Florida's first Commissioner of Immigration for the years 1879 and 1880. About 1881, he moved back to his house in Sanford. He was a Mason, a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and owned citrus groves and property throughout Central Florida. Dr. French died in Sanford on January 29, 1896.
Erected 1992 by the Seminole County Historical Commission in
Location. 28° 47.775′ N, 81° 16.397′ W. Marker is in Sanford, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on South French Avenue (U.S. 17/92) north of West 18th Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. The marker stands in front of Sanford Middle School. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1700 South French Avenue, Sanford FL 32771, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sanford State Farmers' Market (approx. ¼ mile away); Goldsboro (approx. half a mile away); Sanford High School/Sanford Grammar/Student Museum (approx. 0.7 miles away); Georgetown (approx. ¾ mile away); St. James African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fort Reid (approx. one mile away); Fort Reid 1836 (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Henry B. Lord Building (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sanford.
More about this marker. The marker is capped with the Great Seal of the State of Florida.
Regarding Dr. Seth French (1824~1896). Sanford Middle School and the Sanford State Farmers Market still stand on the land donated by Dr. French's son, Alec.
Dr. French's 1876 home in Orange City, in the adjacent county of Volusia, still stands. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.
Also see . . . Seth French House page on Wikipedia. (Submitted on February 4, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 12, 2018. This page originally submitted on February 4, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 462 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 4, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.