Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Wayne in Allen County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Wayne Trace

 
 
Wayne Trace Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 21, 2011
1. Wayne Trace Marker
Inscription.
Wayne Trace
Once the Indian trail to Cincinnati
The route
Of General Harmer's Army in 1790
Of General Wayne's
When leaving the stockade
Christened by Major Hamtramck
"Fort Wayne" in 1794
Also of General Harrison's Army
In 1812.

 
Erected 1906 by Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 41° 4.094′ N, 85° 6.5′ W. Marker is in Fort Wayne, Indiana, in Allen County. Marker is at the intersection of Wayne Trace and New Haven Avenue, on the left when traveling south on Wayne Trace. Touch for map. This historical marker is located in a small, triangular, community park, in a residential neighborhood. The community park is bordered by New Haven Avenue to the north, Warren Street to the east, and Wayne Trace along the park's southwest border. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Wayne IN 46803, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Allen County and Fort Wayne W.W. I Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Battle of Harmar's Ford
Wayne Trace Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 21, 2011
2. Wayne Trace Marker
(approx. 1.4 miles away); The Battle of Kekionga (approx. 1.4 miles away); Kekionga (approx. 1 miles away); The Site of General Wayne's Fort (approx. 1 miles away); The Last Two American Forts/The Siege of 1812 (approx. 1.6 miles away); Old Fort Wayne Well (approx. 1.6 miles away); Mother George (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Wayne.
 
Additional comments.
1. Original Location
According to the website of the Mary Penrose Wayne Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, the bronze plaque is attached to a rock dredged from the St. Mary's River. The rock and plaque were originally placed closer to the intersection of Wayne Trace and New Haven Avenue, but they were damaged in 1990 and 1993. After the second repair of damage in 1993, the Fort Wayne Board of Park Commissioners moved the rock and plaque further away from the intersection.
    — Submitted April 27, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.

 
Categories. Forts, CastlesNative AmericansWar of 1812Wars, US Indian
 
Wayne Trace Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 21, 2011
3. Wayne Trace Marker
View of the historical marker looking east along New Haven Avenue.
Wayne Trace Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 21, 2011
4. Wayne Trace Marker
View of the historical marker looking southeast along Wayne Trace.
Wayne Trace Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 21, 2011
5. Wayne Trace Marker
View of the backside of the historical marker looking west at the intersection of Wayne Trace and New Haven Avenue in the distant background.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 17, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,057 times since then and 83 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 17, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement