Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Middletown in Frederick County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Stone Fort

 
 
Old Stone Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, June 3, 2006
1. Old Stone Fort Marker
Inscription. One mile west is the old stone fort, built about 1755. The northern end is loop-holed for defense against indians.
 
Erected 1927 by Conservation & Development Commission. (Marker Number A-37.)
 
Location. 39° 1.761′ N, 78° 16.671′ W. Marker is in Middletown, Virginia, in Frederick County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 11) 0.1 miles south of 1st Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Middletown VA 22645, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonel Charles Russell Lowell (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Engagement Of Middletown (about 400 feet away); Middletown (approx. 0.4 miles away); Battle of Cedar Creek (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Cauldron (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Middletown.
 
Additional comments.
1. The Stone Fort
The marker probably references Nieswander's Fort located to the west of town along Middle Marsh Brook just south of the Hite Chapel Road (County Route 627). The fort was built in the 18th Century, and some remains were reported on site, in Park Service
Old Stone Fort Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 29, 2007
2. Old Stone Fort Marker
surveys, as recently as 1995. Federal troops occupied ground near the fort during the Battle of Cedar Creek, October 18, 1864. The remains, if still in existence, are on private property.

Another colonial era stone fort is reported to stand at Marlboro, further west on Hite Chapel Road, near the iron forge. However, in a survey dated from 1992 prepared for the Virginia Department of Historic Resources, "Stephen's Fort" was determined to be an ice house rather than a defensive fortification, despite local stories to the contrary.
    — Submitted November 5, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

 
Categories. Colonial EraForts, CastlesMilitaryWar, French and Indian
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 2, 2006, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 1,721 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 2, 2006, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.   2. submitted on November 5, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement