Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Civil War Camp and Hospital
Hampstead Hill, where the park is located, held a fortification called Rodgers' Bastion during the War of 1812 when British forces threatened Baltimore. Afterward, the area became a favorite of city residents for picnics and excursions. In 1827, landowner William Patterson offered six acres to the city for a park; the government purchased another 29 acres from Patterson's heirs in 1850. On July 23, 1853, 20,000 people turned out for the park's grand opening.
After the Civil War, several designers including George A. Frederick, Charles H. Latrobe, and the Olmsted firm had a hand in crafting a new version of the park. Today, Patterson Park preserves much of its picturesque Late Victorian landscape but also includes recreational elements to encourage residential visitation and use.
Patterson Park, as well as almost every other public
Erected by Maryland Civil War Trails.
Location. 39° 17.413′ N, 76° 35.029′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on Patterson Park Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in Patterson Park near the Pagoda. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21224, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Prelude to War (a few steps from this marker); Show of Strength (within shouting distance of this marker); The Star-Spangled Banner Centennial Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); This Cannon Marks Rodgers Bastion (was within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing. ); Spanish American War Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away); Recinoso (approx. 0.4 miles away); General Casimir Pulaski (approx. 0.4 miles away); Caulkers' Houses (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 13, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 16, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 660 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 16, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 3. submitted on June 3, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 4. submitted on December 16, 2012, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.