Near Land O' Lakes in Pasco County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Concord Stagecoach Road
An archeological examination by Janus research - commissioned by Lennar Homes - revealed two prehistoric campsites in this vicinity, one of them datable between the seventh and fifteenth centuries.
About 1850, the Concord Stagecoach Line began regular passenger service and a relay station known as "26-Mile House," because it was 26 miles south of Chocochatte, was located in this vicinity. Stagecoach service was suspended during the Third Seminole War in 1856 but resumed afterward and continued through the War Between The States. Near the end of the 19th century, stagecoach travel was supplanted by the railroads.
Erected 2003 by the Pasco Board of County Commissioners, the Pasco County Historical Preservation Committee, and Lennar Homes, Inc.
Location. 28° 12.429′ N, 82° 24.127′ W. Marker is near Land O' Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Land O Lakes FL 34639, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dupree Gardens (approx. 4.1 miles away); Ehren Community (approx. 4.2 miles away); Ehren African American Community / Mount Carmel Church And Cemetery (approx. 5.1 miles away); Double Branch Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 5.2 miles away); Wesley Chapel (approx. 5.3 miles away); Old Lutz Elementary School (approx. 5½ miles away); Capt. Nathaniel Wyche Hunter (approx. 6.8 miles away); Holton Cemetery (approx. 7.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Land O' Lakes.
Also see . . . Stagecoaches Once Rumbled Through Pasco. Land O' Lakes Patch article by Jeff Cannon on July 21, 2011. (Submitted on December 17, 2012, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 17, 2012, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. This page has been viewed 572 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 17, 2012, by Cleo Robertson of Fort Lauderdale, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.