Harrisburg in Dauphin County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Old Waterworks
1905 view of the Old Waterworks after erection of the 1904 expansion buildings and before removal of the towering standpipe.
Bottom Left Photo
1885 aerial view toward the Old Capitol Building from the Old Waterworks' standpipe structure.
Bottom Right Photo
Riverfront view of the Old Waterworks in 1880 prior to the 1904 expansion buildings and stabilization of the river bank.
Erected by The Harrisburg History Project Commissioned by Mayor Stephen R. Reed.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Pennsylvania, The Harrisburg History Project marker series.
Location. 40° 15.865′ N, 76° 53.401′ W. Marker is in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Dauphin County. Marker is on N. Front Street 0.1 miles south of Forster Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Harrisburg PA 17101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Harrisburg Cotton Factory and The Central YMCA (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Civic Club of Harrisburg (about 600 feet away); Hope Fire Station (about 600 feet away); Genevieve Blatt (1913 - 1996) (about 700 feet away); The John Crain Kunkel and Katherine Smoot Kunkel Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Parish Church of St. Lawrence (Former) (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Michael’s Lutheran Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); J. Donald Cameron (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Harrisburg.
Categories. • Environment • Government • Landmarks • Natural Features • Natural Resources • Notable Buildings • Notable Events •
More. Search the internet for The Old Waterworks.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 29, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,285 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 29, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.