Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Forbes Road, 1758
On November 25, 1758, the expedition, composed of 1267 Scotch Highlanders 363 Loyal Americans and 4350 Provincial Troops took possession of the site of the fort which had been burned and abandoned the night before. This achievement resulted in the permanent occupation of the adjacent territory by English-speaking people.
Erected 1914 by The Pennsylvania Society Colonial Dames of America.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Society of Colonial Dames of America marker series.
Location. 40° 27.269′ N, 79° 54.808′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Penn Avenue (Pennsylvania Route 380) and Fifth Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Located in the northeast corner of Mellon Park. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburgh PA 15206, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Linwood Apartments (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mary Lou Williams Calvary Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away); Westinghouse Gas Wells (approx. half a mile away); Sacred Heart Church (approx. half a mile away); The Highwood (approx. 0.6 miles away); Portal of Industry (approx. 0.7 miles away); Suburban Catalyst (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburgh.
Also see . . . National Society of the Colonial Dames of America. (Submitted on February 23, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 23, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 424 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 23, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.