Colorado City in Mitchell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
History was made here even before Ruddick arrived, however. In 1840 Colonel John Henry Moore and 90 Indian fighters wiped out a Comanche village on the Colorado nearby. The creek that runs through the park was named for Chief Lone Wolf of the Kiowa Indians, who camped along the creek banks. In 1880 Co. B of the Frontier Battalion, under Captain Sam McMurry, was ordered here to combat Indian attacks.
With the coming of the Texas & Pacific Railroad in 1881, immigrants began to flood the area. W.P. Ruddick (1851-1914) and his wife Sarah (Hutchens) moved from Oregon and set up housekeeping in a half-dugout until lumber could be shipped from Fort Worth.
Ruddick, a Quaker, was one of the first in Mitchell County to raise cotton. He also planted an orchard and operated a dairy, for which he transported the first registered Jersey and Hereford cattle into the county. He ranched and drilled water wells for his neighbors as well as himself.
Soon after the donation of the original 20-acre park by Ruddick's heirs, an amphitheater and stage were built here. The park now contains 138 acres.
Erected 1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4380.)
Location. 32° 23.643′ N, 100° 51.1′ W. Marker is in Colorado City, Texas, in Mitchell County. Marker is at the intersection of Houston Street and East 7th Street, on the right when traveling north on Houston Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Colorado City TX 79512, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Comanche Village Massacre (within shouting distance of this marker); Buffalo Trails (approx. ¾ mile away); Seven Wells (approx. 4.4 miles away).
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Categories. • Agriculture • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on April 29, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 300 times since then and 47 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 29, 2014, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.