Québec City in La Cité Borough, Quebec — French Canadian Region
Samuel de Champlain:
Born at Brovace in Saintonce about 1567. Served in the French Army as Marechal des Locis under Henri IV. Explored the West Indies from 1599 to 1601 and also Acadia from 1604 to 1607.
Founded Québec in 1603. Discovered the region of the Great Lakes. Led several expeditions against the Iroquois from 1609 to 1615. Was successively Lieutenant Governor and Governor of New France. Died at Québec 24th December 1635.
Location. 46° 48.764′ N, 71° 12.3′ W. Marker is in Québec City, Quebec, in La Cité Borough. Marker is on Rue de Fort in Terrasse Dufferin north of Rue Saint Louis and Le Château Frontenac, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Terrasse Dufferin, Québec City, Quebec G1R 3X2, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Le Château Frontenac (within shouting distance of this marker); The VII Royal Fusiliers (within shouting distance of this marker); First Patent in Canada (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Louis Jolliet (about 90 meters away); First Graveyard of Quebec Diamond Jubilee of Confederation (about 90 meters away); Louis Jolliet House (about 120 meters away); Home of the Quebec Chronicle-Telegraph (about 120 meters away).
Also see . . .
1. Paul Chevré, sculptor. (Submitted on November 29, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Samuel de Champlain. (Submitted on November 29, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
3. Terrasse Dufferin (Dufferin Terrace). (Submitted on November 29, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Old Quebec; Historic District of Quebec; Parc de l'UNESCO; Terrasse Dufferin ("Dufferin Terrace"); Paul Romaine Marie Léonce Chevré, sculptor.
Categories. • Exploration • Military • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 29, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 860 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on June 18, 2014, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 29, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.