Pennepack Baptist Church
In 1686, Elias Keach, son of the famed English Pastor, Benjamin Keach, arrived in America. Though unconverted, he presented himself as minister of the gospel. His name secured for him the opportunity to preach and the aforementioned group of believers, in need of a pastor, were among those who gave ear to his message.
Baptist historian Morgan Edwards records the details of this event. He performed well enough till he had advanced pretty far in the sermon. Then stopping short, looked like a man astonished. The audience concluded he had been seized with a sudden disorder, but, on asking what the matter was, received from him the confession of the imposture with tears in his eyes and much trembling.”
The deceiver became the first convert of his own preaching for from this time he dated his conversion! Keach repaired to Elder Thomas Dungan who: at Cold Springs in 1684, founded the first Baptist Church in the colony of Pennsylvania. Dungan administered the ordinance of baptism to Keach and the young preacher returned to Pennepack.
The Pennepack Baptist Church was constituted in 1688. It is recorded that “by
The same year, 1688, Elder Dungan died, and in 1702, the Church at Cold Springs was absorbed into Pennepack Church. Though not the first established, to “Ye Old Pennepack” belongs the distinction of being the oldest Baptist Church in Pennsylvania. It is also one of the oldest Baptist Churches in America.
Location. 40° 4.872′ N, 75° 3.06′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8732 Krewstown Road, Philadelphia PA 19115, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Pennepack Baptist Church (here, next to this marker); Knowlton (approx. 1.4 miles away); Fox Chase and Rockledge World War Memorial (approx. 1.9
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Colonial Era •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 4, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 152 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 4, 2015, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.