Vancouver in Clark County, Washington — The American West (Northwest)
First Japanese on the North American Continent
The arrival of the first Japanese on the North American continent the Washington State Centennial
The 1989 American-Japanese Boy Scouts joint training exercise, and to promote the continued friendships between the U.S. and Japan
This monument was donated by the Hyogo Boy Scouts Rover Troop to the people of the State of Washington, with assistance from the 1989 Washington Centennial Commission, National Park Service and Japanese American Citizens League.
Dedicated on August 1, 1989.
Erected 1989 by Hyogo Boy Scouts Rover Troop, 1989 Washington Centennial Commission, National Park Service and Japanese American Citizens League.
Location. 45° Touch for map. Marker is near the Vancouver National Historic Site visitors center. Marker is in this post office area: Vancouver WA 98661, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Marshall House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Whose Anchor? (about 400 feet away); Officers Row (about 500 feet away); Carlton Foster Bond (about 800 feet away); Early Aviation History in Vancouver (about 800 feet away); Howard C. French / Alexander Pearson (about 800 feet away); The Chkalov Transpolar Flight (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Soviet Transpolar Flight of 1937 (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Vancouver.
Also see . . . The Real Life Story of Otokichi. "On November 3, 1832 the Hojun-maru sailed from Nagoya into Toba port at the mouth of Ise Bay, carrying a large cargo of Owari rice and chinaware. Among her crew were Iwakichi (aged 26) from Atsuta near Nagoya, Kyukichi (aged 15) and Otokichi(aged 14). Kyukichi and Otokichi were apprentice sailors." (Submitted on June 20, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Categories. • Native Americans • Notable Events • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on June 19, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,151 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on June 19, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.