Montgomery in Montgomery County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Oﬃce of Dr. Luther Leonidas Hill
Oﬃce Site of Dr. J. Marion Sims
(Continued on other side)
"Father of Modern Gynecology"
On this site in 1840s stood small hospital of Dr. J. Marion Sims in which he made surgical history with his successful operations for urinary fistula in women. A South Carolinian, Sims studied at Charleston Medical School and Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia. He practiced briefly in his native state before coming to Mt. Meigs (1835) and Montgomery (1840). He left this city and, in 1853, founded famous Woman's
Erected 1994 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 22.591′ N, 86° 18.441′ W. Marker is in Montgomery, Alabama, in Montgomery County. Marker is on South Perry Street south of Dexter Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Building is now occupied by a cash loans company. Marker is at or near this postal address: 37 South Perry Street, Montgomery AL 36104, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. J. Marion Sims (here, next to this marker); Confederate States of America (CSA) Post Office Department (within shouting distance of this marker); Montgomery County Korean War Veterans (within shouting distance of this marker); Montgomery County Circuit Court / Sit-Ins and Marches at the Montgomery County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chris’ Hot Dogs (about 300 feet away); A County Older Than the State Telegram Which Began War Between The States / Winter Building (about 500 feet away); Lower Dexter Park (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Montgomery.
Categories. • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 5, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 959 times since then and 25 times this year. Last updated on July 28, 2015, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 5, 2010, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.