Navy Yard in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Washington Navy Yard
Rebuilt after the War of 1812, the Yard continued to construct ships, but by the 1850s its primary function had evolved into ordnance production. The engineering genius of Lieutenant John Dahlgren (twice commandant of the Yard) nurtured this development, and in 1886 the Navy concentrated its ordnance work at what came to be known as the Naval Gun Factory.
In addition to ordnance, other notable United States technological achievements at the Yard include: the first marine railway (1822), the first ship model basin (1898), the first successful shipboard catapult (1912), and a wind tunnel (1914).
Expanding to meet the needs of a growing fleet during World War I, the Yard designed and manufactured the Navy's first 16" guns as well as the innovative U.S. Navy Railway Batteries that served in France. Mobilization for World War II resulted in further expansion. While the Yard administered the
When industrial production ceased in 1961, the facility became a supply and administrative center. Once again designated as the Washington Navy Yard, this historic complex has become the ceremonial quarterdeck of the Navy.
Erected by U.S. Navy.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 38° 52.549′ N, 76° 59.69′ W. Marker is in Navy Yard, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of Dahlgren Avenue, SE and Warrington Avenue, SE, on the right when traveling north on Dahlgren Avenue, SE. Touch for map. Marker is inside the Washington Navy Yard, at the northwest corner of Leutze Park and across Warrington Avenue from the historic Latrobe Gate which is now an entrance for high ranking Yard residents, only. Marker is in this post office area: Washington Navy Yard DC 20374, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Latrobe Gate - Tingey House (here, next to this marker); Leutze Park Gun Collection (within shouting distance of this marker); Optical Tower - Second Officers House Second Officer's House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Center for Naval History - The Navy Museum (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Washington Navy Yard: Maker of Weapons (about 300 feet away); Dudley Knox Center for Naval History (about 400 feet away); Leutze Park - Marine Corps Historical Center (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Navy Yard.
More about this marker. Parking is restricted in the area of Luetze Park during business hours. Visitors are required to enter the Yard via the west or north entrances off M or 11th Streets SE. Drivers without military identification must obtain a visitor's pass and proceed to an authorized parking area as directed.
Also see . . .
1. Washington Navy Yard. (Submitted on July 4, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. Historic Commandant's Office Rededicated. (Submitted on October 19, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
3. RAdm Eugene Henry Cozzens Leutze, USN. (Submitted on February 9, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
4. "History of the Washington Navy Yard Watch Box". (Submitted on November 9, 2015, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Military • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on March 4, 2017. This page originally submitted on July 4, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,998 times since then and 87 times this year. Last updated on November 9, 2015, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on July 4, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 2, 3. submitted on August 6, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4, 5, 6. submitted on July 4, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 7. submitted on August 6, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 8. submitted on August 6, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 9, 10. submitted on November 10, 2015, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 11. submitted on August 6, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 12. submitted on August 10, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 13. submitted on August 13, 2008, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.