8 entries match your criteria.
Historical Markers and War Memorials in Greene County, Virginia
Adjacent to Greene County, Virginia
► Albemarle County (117) ► Madison County (49) ► Orange County (158) ► Page County (86) ► Rockingham County (85)
Touch name on list to highlight map location.
Touch blue arrow, or on map, to go there.
|Stretching over 2,180 miles, the Appalachian Trail (A.T.) crosses 14 states, five national parks, seven national forests, and numerous state parks and towns between Maine and Georgia. A physically daunting task, the climbing required in hiking the . . . — — Map (db m108477) HM|
Greene County. Formed from Orange County in 1838, this rural Piedmont county was named for Gen. Nathanael Greene, Revolutionary War military hero. The county seat of Greene County is Stanardsville. William Donoho and William B. Phillips, . . . — — Map (db m21505) HM|
|(West Side):Orange CountyFormed from Spotsylvania County in 1734, Orange County, a pastoral Piedmont county, was probably named in honor of William IV, the Dutch prince of Orange, who married Anne, the Princess Royal, daughter of George . . . — — Map (db m24228) HM|
|A descendant of the Huguenot immigrant Peter Rucker, John Rucker (d. 1794) settled east of here on Rippin’s Run, and built Friendly Acres, the first of many Rucker family dwellings in the area. He founded the village of Ruckersville, naming it for . . . — — Map (db m4034) HM|
Built in 1934, the house and surrounding 39-acre family farm were home to John Emmons Taylor, his wife Louise Jennings Taylor, and their two daughters, Elizabeth and Alice. The Taylors were recognized active members of the community and faithful . . . — — Map (db m170176) HM|
|Greene County. Area 155 Square Miles. Formed in 1838 from Orange, and named for General Nathanael Greene, commander of the Army of the South in the Revolutionary War.
Rockingham County. Area 876 Square Miles. Formed in . . . — — Map (db m2834) HM|
|The village of Stanardsville was founded by William Stanard (died 1807), of Roxbury plantation, on land that was part of his 6,000 acre inheritance from the Octonia Grant of 1729. This grant included most of what is presently northern Greene County . . . — — Map (db m22988) HM|
|Near this site on 1 Mar. 1864, Maj. Gen. J. E. B. Stuart's Confederate cavalry engaged Brig. Gen. George A. Custer's Union cavalry in what is called locally the Battle of Stanardsville. To divert Stuart from Richmond, Custer led his troopers down . . . — — Map (db m22985) HM|