Established 1963 by 4-H Clubs of McCreary County, the first such center in the U.S. developed by 4-H Clubs. The original log cabin built in this site in a 200-acre land grant to John Abbott, 1842. Abbott and Indian wife, Oocella, lived in cabin . . . — — Map (db m120111) HM
Marker front: Born in Pine Knot, Ky. on Nov. 23, 1881. Enlisted in U.S. Army, 1901. In 1907, Cpl. Ward was assigned by the Signal Officer to take charge of "all matters pertaining to military ballooning, air machines, and all kindred . . . — — Map (db m30427) HM
Burial site of daughter of Chief Doublehead. Legend is that as a young girl she accompanied her father at signing of Treaty of Sycamore Shoals, 1775, transferring Cherokees' land between Ohio and Cumberland rivers to Transylvania Society. As'Quaw . . . — — Map (db m73737) HM
First Kentucky Oil Well In 1818, Marcus Huling and Andrew Zimmerman were drilling salt wells along South Fort of Cumberland River. On land leased from Martin Beaty they struck oil. Attempts to market it downriver were not successful, so . . . — — Map (db m73739) HM
Taken from parts of Pulaski, Wayne, and Whitley counties, it was last formed of Kentucky's 120 counties.
Named for James B. McCreary, 1838-1918. Lawyer, Col., 11th Ky. Cavalry, CSA. State legislature, 1869-75. Twice governor of Kentucky, . . . — — Map (db m73738) HM