Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

West Feliciana Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Afton Villa Marker image, Touch for more information
March 25, 2016
Afton Villa Marker
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Afton Villa
19th Century Gardens, site of famed ante-bellum mansion built in 1849 by David Barrow, once wealthiest planter in W. Feliciana; destroyed by fire in 1963. Tomb of Alexander Barrow, U.S. Senator from La. in 1840's, in family cemetery. — Map (db m94326) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Audubon Memorial
Oakley Plantation, 3 miles east, where John James Audubon painted 32 of his "Birds of America." It was built in 1799 by Ruffin Gray and acquired as a state park in 1947 from Miss Lucy Mathews. — Map (db m85574) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Bayou Sara
Founded by John Mills in 1790 as a trading post and cotton port. Bayou Sara was the river port for the Felicianas and was one of the largest shipping ports between Natchez and New Orleans before 1860. — Map (db m85576) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — British West Florida
The Treaty of Paris (1763) ended the French and Indian War in the American Colonies. France transferred to Britain all its rights to the mainland of America. East of the Mississippi River, excluding New Orleans and its environs. As a result. . . . — Map (db m110112) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Courthouse1903
Site of 1855 structure damaged by Federal gunboats. — Map (db m110433) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Grace Episcopal Church
As one of Louisiana's oldest Protestant Churches, its history began 1827 in St. Francisville; Investiture came in 1829, with Bishop Polk's Visitation in 1839. Shelled during Civil War, the Church began to rebuild with final restoration in 1880's. — Map (db m85646) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Lt. Commander John E. Hart
In nearby Grace Church Cemetery is the tomb of Lieut. Commander John E. Hart, U.S. Gunboat Albatross, buried at Episcopal service & with Naval & Masonic honors by Brother Masons of Feliciana Lodge No. 31 F. & A.M., June 11, 1863. Lower . . . — Map (db m93717) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Our CabooseHistory of ICG 199328
Our Caboose The colorful caboose that generations once looked for at the end of every freight train is now a thing of the past, replaced by modern technology. History of ICG 199328

The St. Francisville Caboose is an important historical . . . — Map (db m110227) HM

Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Propinquity1809
Spanish Colonial Architecture built on site of original Spanish land grant acquired by William Williams in January 1795. PrivateMap (db m109937) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Rosedown Plantation
Spanish Land Grant made in 1789 to John Mills, American Revolutionary soldier. (Founder of Bayou Sara in 1790, Mills was also a leader in the West Florida Rebellion, 1810.) In 1835 Daniel Turnbull built the present home at Rosedown. Lower . . . — Map (db m87448) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — The Historic West Feliciana Railroad
"When it is considered that the first steam train was run by George Stephenson over the Stockton and Darlington Railway in England in September, 1825:... that Germany's first railroad opened in 1835:... and Russia did not have a practicable road . . . — Map (db m110286) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — The Myrtles
Home of the famed Gen. David Bradford, leader of the Whisky Rebellion. The Myrtles was built in 1796 on a Spanish Land Grant. The architecture, elaborate plaster work and lacy ironwork make this twenty room mansion one of Louisiana's most unusual . . . — Map (db m85647) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — The Republic of West Florida1810
The Spanish fort, San Carlos, at Baton Rouge was captured in a rebellion by the citizens of the Florida Parishes, and a Republic was established under the blue flag with a white star.

St. Francisville was the capital

This independent . . . — Map (db m109953) HM

Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — West Feliciana Railroad
One of South’s earliest railroads. Ran from St. Francisville, La. to Woodville, Ms. Idea conceived in 1828 as means of transporting cotton to river. Chartered in 1831. Completed in 1842. In use in Illinois Central System until abandoned in 1978. — Map (db m86145) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), Wakefield — Wakefield1834
Built in 1834 by Lewis and Sarah Turnbill Stirling. Two upper stories removed in 1877 to effect partition of estate. Private — Map (db m119635) HM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.