Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Brandon, Mississippi Historical Markers

 
View from marker east towards the Gulde Cemetery and U.S. Highway 80. image, Touch for more information
By Mark Hilton, December 3, 2017
View from marker east towards the Gulde Cemetery and U.S. Highway 80.
Mississippi (Rankin County), Brandon — Centenary College (1841-45)
Original site 2 mi. NW. Methodist College, opened Nov. 1, 1841, with the Rev. T.C. Thornton as president, followed by the Hon. D.O. Shattuck. Removed to Jackson, La. as Centenary College of La., 1845. — Map (db m111009) HM
Mississippi (Rankin County), Brandon — Old Brandon Cemetery
Established in the early 1830s, the old Brandon cemetery contains more than 1,000 graves, including two Mississippi governors, Robert Lowry (1881-1889) and Anselm McLaurin (1896-1900). Also buried here is postmaster and surveyor Thomas Shaw, . . . — Map (db m50906) HM
Mississippi (Rankin County), Brandon — Rankin County Confederate Monument
East face To those who wore the grey, “In legend and lay our heroes in grey, shall forever live over again for us.” “The epitaph of the soldier who falls with his country, is written in the hearts of those who love . . . — Map (db m111507) WM
Mississippi (Rankin County), Brandon — Rankin County Courthouses
In 1829, Daniel and Mary Fore deeded forty acres for the county seat in Brandon. A two-story, frame structure was built in 1833. This and other buildings were used until 1853, when a new courthouse was built here. After it burned in 1924, the . . . — Map (db m111007) HM
Mississippi (Rankin County), Brandon — Rankin County War Memorial
Freedom Is Not Free In memory of the gallant heroes from Rankin County who gave their lives that we may enjoy the blessings of liberty Far left panel World War I E. Hoy Barksdale, 1Lt USA

S. L. . . . — Map (db m111512) WM
Mississippi (Rankin County), Brandon — Seminary Square
When Brandon was organized in 1828, part of the town, known as "Seminary Square," was set aside for educational purposes. The first school established here was in 1829. The Brandon Male and Female Academy, later named Brandon Female College, was on . . . — Map (db m50872) HM
Mississippi (Rankin County), Brandon — Town Square
Incorporated in 1831, Brandon was named Gov. Gerard C. Brandon. The town was laid out around a public square, known as the "famous campground" by early settlers. The town plat was surveyed by Thomas S. Shaw. Erected in 1907, the Confederate monument . . . — Map (db m111005) HM

7 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement