Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Brookhaven, Mississippi Historical Markers

 
Brookhaven Marker image, Touch for more information
By Cleo Robertson, November 15, 2014
Brookhaven Marker
Mississippi (Lincoln County), Brookhaven — Brookhaven
Founded by Samuel Jayne in 1818, it grew rapidly as a railway terminus after 1851. Was recruiting and hospital center during Civil War. Since 1907 has led in dairy industry. — Map (db m79094) HM
Mississippi (Lincoln County), Brookhaven — Brookhaven Light Artillery
Also known as Hoskin's Battery, this unit was organized on May 11, 1861. The battery saw action in numerous engagements, including the Battle of Jackson on May 14, 1863. In June 1863 the unit was engaged at Mechanicsburg, Miss. and served with . . . — Map (db m79089) HM
Mississippi (Lincoln County), Brookhaven — Coffee Pot Inn
Constructed in 1931 by James J. Carruth and his wife, the two-story stucco Coffee Pot Inn was Brookhavens's first drive-in restaurant. The building also served as the Carruth family home and as a Greyhound bus stop in 1933. In 1936, Eddie Hinnant . . . — Map (db m117344) HM
Mississippi (Lincoln County), Brookhaven — Confederate Memorial Monument
First erected in 1896 in memory of Elias Bowsky, 3rd Bat. Co. E, 45th Mississippi Infantry, by his brother George, this twenty-foot-tall monument was deeded to the Sylvester Gwin Camp U.C.V. in 1924, and now serves as a memorial for the Confederate . . . — Map (db m80085) HM
Mississippi (Lincoln County), Brookhaven — Dr. Albert L. Lott
Born in Brookhaven, Albert L. Lott (1921-1993) graduated high school at age 16. He immediately began seeking a medical degree, which he received in 1950. Returning to practice in his hometown, he became the first African American doctor appointed . . . — Map (db m117337) HM
Mississippi (Lincoln County), Brookhaven — Heucks Retreat School
Est. 1880 as one-room, one-teacher school. In 1920 consol. several community schools & became accredited high school. Closed in 1959, students transferred to other schools. Presented by Heucks Alumni, 1984.Map (db m122659) HM
Mississippi (Lincoln County), Brookhaven — Horse & Mule Watering Trough
Built in the early 1920's, this trough sits in its original location, a relic of a period long passed. Travel from town to town was primarily done by mule pulled wagons. The area was plentiful with corn and cotton making such trade activity among . . . — Map (db m117566) HM
Mississippi (Lincoln County), Brookhaven — Lampton Auditorium1912
Mary Jane Conerly Lampton (1828- 1879), a mother, teacher, and diarist, grew up in Old Pike County, now Walthall. She married Benjamin Lampton, planter who became a successful pioneer merchant of Old Pike County and Marion County. Together they . . . — Map (db m117342) HM
Mississippi (Lincoln County), Brookhaven — 142 — Little Brother Montgomery
Side A

Little Brother Montgomery (1906-1985), a major presence on south Mississippi's blues and jazz scene during much of the pre-World War II era, was famed for his trembling vocals and masterful piano playing. The Montgomery . . . — Map (db m117480) HM

Mississippi (Lincoln County), Brookhaven — Old Brookhaven
The city of Boookhaven was first settled here in 1824 by James H. Bull. In 1833 Bull sold 160 acres of land to Samuel Jayne and William Ray Jayne, who established a grist mill operation near the Bouge Chitto River. In 1857 the New Orleans, Jackson . . . — Map (db m117557) HM
Mississippi (Lincoln County), Brookhaven — Pearlhaven
In 1899, the Pearl River Lumber Company established the mill town of Pearlhaven. Pealrhaven was incorporated in 1901 with 310 residents, who elected a mayor, board of aldermen, and marshal the same year. The town included a hotel, three churches . . . — Map (db m117479) HM
Mississippi (Lincoln County), Brookhaven — Rose Hill Cemetery
Established in 1861 on land given to the city of Brookhaven by Rev. Milton J. Whitworth, founder of Whitworth College, this cemetery is among Brookhaven's first and largest burial grounds. Rose Hill Cemetery is the final resting place for over 5,000 . . . — Map (db m80082) HM
Mississippi (Lincoln County), Brookhaven — St. Stephens Road
Constructed ca. 1806-1811 and passing near this area, the St. Stephens Road was a main wagon and trade route connecting Natchez through the Mississippi Territory with Fort St. Stephens in Alabama. The opening of the road enabled safer travel . . . — Map (db m117338) HM
Mississippi (Lincoln County), Brookhaven — Temple B'nai Sholom
Built in 1896, this Moorish Revival-style structure served the Jewish communities of Brookhaven, Crystal Springs, Hazlehurst and Wesson until 2009. At that time, the Lincoln County Historical and Genealogical Society began to use the building as a . . . — Map (db m117519) HM
Mississippi (Lincoln County), Brookhaven — Whitworth College
Founded 1858, as Methodist womans college. Traditional successor to Elizabeth Academy, Washington, Miss. Served as Confederate Hospital, 1861-5. Founded by Milton J. Whitworth, pioneer planter & lay minister. — Map (db m80102) HM

15 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement We are suspending Amazon.com advertising until they remove an ad for a certain book from circulation. A word in the book’s title has given rise to number of complaints. The word is inappropriate in school classroom settings.