Song writer, teacher, editor, lived in Hamilton, 1843-c.1868, was mayor, 1865. Near this spot in 1844 he published Sacred Harp, a “fa-sol-la” acappella singing school book now in its 14th edition.
White taught in a local academy, . . . — — Map (db m22451) HM
The Columbus Baptist Association was organized November 22, 1829 at Mulberry Meeting House (then New Hope), 10 miles from here, at Mulberry Grove. Twelve churches reporting from Talbot. Harris, and Muscogee Counties formed this Association, Churches . . . — — Map (db m14445) HM
The Hamilton Female College was chartered in 1853 in southern Harris County. It was located on what was known as College Hill. Asbury Johnston and Stephen A. Borders donated the property for the college. The Hamilton Female College was the first . . . — — Map (db m22420) HM
This county, created by Acts of the Legislature Dec. 14 & 24, 1827, is named for Charles Harris, eminent Savannah jurist. Born in England and educated in France, he served Savannah as Alderman or Mayor for 20 years, refusing higher offices. The . . . — — Map (db m22825) HM
This bell was presented to Harris County by LST 822, U.S.S. HARRIS COUNTY, commissioned Nov. 23, 1944. Carrying the commander of LST Group 68, she led fourteen convoys through enemy waters without a casualty. LST U.S.S. HARRIS COUNTY participated . . . — — Map (db m22826) HM