Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Jackson, Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Battle of Jackson Marker image, Touch for more information
September 23, 2017
Battle of Jackson Marker
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Battle of Jackson Monday August 3, 1863 Station One —
In the late evening of August 3, 1863, Col. John L. Logan's Confederate cavalry (500 men), approached from the northwest by way of the Jackson-Woodville Road. Their scouts soon subdued the Federal pickets with the aid of local . . . — Map (db m108639) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Battle of Jackson Monday August 3, 1863 Station Three —
As the Confederates kept up the pressure on the retreating Federals in the ravine to your distant front {1}, Sergeant Willis W. Davis of West Feliciana was killed near this intersection {2} while leading an attack at the side of Colonel . . . — Map (db m108664) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Battle of Jackson Monday August 3, 1863 Station Four —
As the remaining gun of the 2nd Vermont rumbled by this point, hotly pursued by Confederate cavalry {1}, the main body of Federal infantry and cavalry {2} made its way, under Confederate pressure, through the woods and ravine and reached . . . — Map (db m108671) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Burial Site of Lt. Col. John C. McKowen
Lt. Col. McKowen, 1st. La. Cavalry, C.S.A., who on June 3, 1863, with 5 men captured Brig. Gen. Neal Dow near here. Dow was later exchanged for Brig. Gen. W.H.F. Lee, son of Gen. Robert E. Lee. A former mayor of Portland, Me. Dow ran for president . . . — Map (db m85778) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Centenary College's Main Academic Building
Constructed between 1855 and 1857, the Main Academic Building had four stories and contained classrooms, offices, meeting halls, a gymnasium, an observatory (until 1870), and an auditorium that could seat 2,000 people in the central portion of the . . . — Map (db m108620) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Centenary State Historic Site "The Cemetery"
Centenary College minutes dated October 7, 1861 read, "Students have all gone to war. College suspended and God help the right." From 1861 to 1866 the college remained closed. Both Union and Confederate troops used and misused college buildings and . . . — Map (db m85521) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Centenary State Historic Site "The East Wing Dormitory"
The East Wing dormitory was the first of the campus structures to be built. Built between 1832 and 1833, the building was designed by Captain Delafield, and constructed by Alexander Smith of Wilkinson County, Mississippi at a cost of $14,000.00 . . . — Map (db m108617) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Centenary State Historic Site "The Professor's Cottage"
The Professor's Cottage was built in 1898 and rented to a professor and his family for about $125 per year. It was one of the faculty houses owned by the college, which included another cottage that was identical to it located approximately 40 . . . — Map (db m108618) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Feliciana Courthouse (1816-1824)
Jackson became the seat of justice for Feliciana Parish by Act of Legislature, Jan., 1815. Public town square donated by James Ficklin and John Horton. In active use until parish divided into East and West Feliciana in February, 1824. — Map (db m85776) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — First European Settlers
The domination of Europeans over this section of Louisiana is divided into five epochs: French----1717 to 1763 British----1763 to 1779 Spanish----1779 to 1810 Independent*----Sept.10 to Dec. 7 United States----1810 *Republic of West . . . — Map (db m85780) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Jackson
Founded as seat of justice for Feliciana Parish, 1815. College of Louisiana founded here, 1825. Became Centenary College, 1845. State insane asylum founded here, 1847. Historic district on National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m91969) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Linwood
1 mile SW. Built c. 1848 by Albert G. Carter. A portion of Sarah Morgan Dawson's A Confederate Girl's Diary was written here. Bombardment of Port Hudson and other events at Linwood are described in this important Civil War source. . . . — Map (db m93427) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Methodist Church Jackson, LA ca 1854
Host to Mississippi Conference in 1854. The Gothic building with a Revival basilica, slave gallery, windows depicting cross and crown of thorns, has served its congregation 140 years. — Map (db m85820) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Original Feliciana Courthouse Built in 1816
And used for that purpose until the division of the Parish into East and West Feliciana in 1824. This building has been owned by the Jackson Assembly since 1969. — Map (db m93350) HM
Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Republic of West Florida Bicentennial 1810-2010 —
This stop on the Old Republic Trail honors the wildly independent, freedom loving settlers of Spanish West Florida's Districts of Feliciana, Baton Rouge, St. Helena and St. Ferdinand for their remarkable role in Louisiana history.

These . . . — Map (db m108626) HM

Louisiana (East Feliciana Parish), Jackson — Site of Battle of Jackson Crossroads
At noon, June 20, 1863, at the crossroads, a long Union wagon train, escorted by 300 cavalry and 500 infantry, from the 52nd. Mass, Vols., the 2nd. Rhode Island, and Grierson's 7th Ill. cavalry, was ambushed by a Confederate battalion of La. and . . . — Map (db m108615) HM

16 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement