Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania Historical Markers

 
Brig. Gen. Albert Gallatin Jenkins, C.S.A. Marker image, Touch for more information
By Bill Pfingsten, January 24, 2006
Brig. Gen. Albert Gallatin Jenkins, C.S.A. Marker
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Mechanicsburg — Brig. Gen. Albert Gallatin Jenkins, C.S.A.
Born November 10, 1830 in Greenbottom, Virginia, he was a graduate of Jefferson College and studied law at Harvard University. Albert Jenkins served as U.S. Congressman from 1857 to 1861 and then resigned to serve the confederacy. Thereafter, he . . . — Map (db m26532) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Mechanicsburg — Cumberland Valley Railroad
Incorporated in 1831. Completed, Lemoyne to Chambersburg, 1837; eventually, Harrisburg to Virginia. For over 80 years, vital to Valley's economic life; merged into Pennsylvania R.R., 1919. Passenger Station, Stationmaster's House here, built in the . . . — Map (db m26995) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Mechanicsburg — Frankenberger Tavern 1801
In 1801, George Frankenberger applied for a tavern license, stating a need for lodging on this "deserted" section of the Great Road between Harrisburg and Carlisle. This simple log structure served many drovers moving livestock. For modest fees, a . . . — Map (db m98929) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Mechanicsburg — Gettysburg Campaign
Confederate General Albert G. Jenkins and his staff occupied this house, June 28-30, 1863. His brigade, a part of General Ewell's Corps, had entered Mechanicsburg to reconnoiter the approaches to Harrisburg with a view toward a June 30 attack. The . . . — Map (db m26522) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Mechanicsburg — Irving Female College
Site of the College that was chartered in 1857, and named for Washington Irving, a trustee. First women's college in Pennsylvania to grant degrees in arts and sciences. It closed in 1929. — Map (db m26993) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Mechanicsburg — Silver Spring Presbyterian Church
Founder 1734 on land of James Silver by Scotch-Irish Presbyterians, earliest settlers of the Cumberland Valley. Present church built in 1783, restored in 1928 to its original style, and still used for worship. — Map (db m26997) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Mechanicsburg — Simpson Ferry Road
Built about 1792. It extended from Michael Simpson's ferry on the Susquehanna to Carlisle, following, at this point, a course later known as Simpson St. Used by many persons traveling to western part of state. — Map (db m26996) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Mechanicsburg — Union Church
Oldest public building in Mechanicsburg. Built in 1825 on land given by Martin Rupp. As provided in the charter, it has been used by many religious sects on payment of small fees. — Map (db m26994) HM
Pennsylvania (Cumberland County), Mechanicsburg — Williams Grove
This railroad junction became the site of the Great Grangers' Interstate Picnic Exhibition, founded 1874 by R. H. Thomas of the State Grange. The annual event drew an estimated 100,000 or more people in a week by the 1890's. The John Williams House, . . . — Map (db m26998) HM

9 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement