Jackson County was created by the State Legislature on December 13, 1819 while in session in Huntsville, Ala. The county was named in honor of Gen. Andrew Jackson who was visiting in Huntsville at the time.
This Statue was presented by the . . . — — Map (db m22262) HM
Constructed in 1911-1912 and designed by architect Richard H. Hunt, the Jackson County Courthouse is a Neo-Classical, brick building situated on a town square in Scottsboro, the county seat of Jackson County. The front, . . . — — Map (db m22264) HM
In 1946, Robert E. Jones, Jr. was elected to serve in the U.S. House of Representatives to fill Alabama’s 5th Congressional District seat vacated by John J. Sparkman’s election to the U.S. Senate. Elected to 15 consecutive terms, 1946-1976, . . . — — Map (db m100042) HM
Planter, tavern operator, newspaper editor, legislator, and land developer, he sought in vain to have the Jackson County seat moved from Bellefont to the settlement that bore his name. After his death in 1863, his widow reached an agreement in 1868 . . . — — Map (db m22260) HM
The Memphis and Charleston Railroad Company constructed the Scottsboro Railroad Depot in 1860-1861 as a passenger and freight facility. The rail line ran throughout the Confederacy and the Union considered its capture vital to cutting off supplies . . . — — Map (db m22258) HM
In late December 1863, Union Maj. Gen. John A. Logan established his Fifteenth Army Corps headquarters in Scottsboro, Alabama. On January 11, 1864, by command of Gen. Logan, Brig. Gen. Hugh Ewing, commanding the Fourth Division, . . . — — Map (db m100044) HM