Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

West Feliciana Parish Louisiana Historical Markers

 
Afton Villa Marker image, Touch for more information
March 25, 2016
Afton Villa Marker
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Afton Villa
On U.S. 61 at Afton Villa Road, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 61.
19th Century Gardens, site of famed ante-bellum mansion built in 1849 by David Barrow, once wealthiest planter in W. Feliciana; destroyed by fire in 1963. Tomb of Alexander Barrow, U.S. Senator from La. in 1840's, in family cemetery. — Map (db m94326) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Audubon Memorial
On State Highway 965 0.1 miles north of U.S. 61.
Oakley Plantation, 3 miles east, where John James Audubon painted 32 of his "Birds of America." It was built in 1799 by Ruffin Gray and acquired as a state park in 1947 from Miss Lucy Mathews. — Map (db m85574) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Bayou Sara
On Ferdinand Street (Parish Route 1258) at Royal Street, on the right when traveling west on Ferdinand Street.
Founded by John Mills in 1790 as a trading post and cotton port. Bayou Sara was the river port for the Felicianas and was one of the largest shipping ports between Natchez and New Orleans before 1860. — Map (db m85576) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Bayou Sara Depot — 1888
On Ferdinand Street (Highway 1263) west of Tunica Street, on the right when traveling west.
Last Vestige of both town and railroad. — Map (db m128901) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — British West Florida
On Ferdinand Street (State Highway 1263) near Prosperity Street, on the right when traveling east.
The Treaty of Paris (1763) ended the French and Indian War in the American Colonies. France transferred to Britain all its rights to the mainland of America. East of the Mississippi River, excluding New Orleans and its environs. As a result. . . . — Map (db m110112) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Captain Bennett Landing
On Ferdinand Street (Highway 1263) 0.7 miles from Old Ferry Road, on the right when traveling west.
Captain Philip Morris Bennett, Sr. (Ferry pilot from 1930-1965) Ferries were a means of transporting vehicles across the Mississippi River between St. Francisville and New Roads from 1930 thru 2012. In the beginning it was the privately . . . — Map (db m128899) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Courthouse — 1903
On Ferdinand Street (State Highway 1263) east of Royal Street, on the left when traveling west.
Site of 1855 structure damaged by Federal gunboats. — Map (db m110433) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Grace Episcopal Church
On Ferdinand Street (Parish Route 1258) at Prosperity Street, on the right when traveling west on Ferdinand Street.
As one of Louisiana's oldest Protestant Churches, its history began 1827 in St. Francisville; Investiture came in 1829, with Bishop Polk's Visitation in 1839. Shelled during Civil War, the Church began to rebuild with final restoration in 1880's. — Map (db m85646) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Lt. Commander John E. Hart
On U.S. 61 north of Jackson Road (State Highway 10), on the left when traveling north.
In nearby Grace Church Cemetery is the tomb of Lieut. Commander John E. Hart, U.S. Gunboat Albatross, buried at Episcopal service & with Naval & Masonic honors by Brother Masons of Feliciana Lodge No. 31 F. & A.M., June 11, 1863. Lower . . . — Map (db m93717) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Old Burying Ground
On Ferdinand Street west of Johnson Street, on the right when traveling west.
Established by 18th Century Capuchin Friars.

Second plaque mounted on cemetery gate Mount Carmel Catholic Cemetery For All Faiths and Garden Memorial St. Francisville, Louisiana Established January, 1970. — Map (db m128904) HM

Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Our Caboose — History of ICG 199328
On Ferdinand Street (State Highway 1263) west of Tunica Street, on the left when traveling west.
Our Caboose The colorful caboose that generations once looked for at the end of every freight train is now a thing of the past, replaced by modern technology. History of ICG 199328

The St. Francisville Caboose is an important historical . . . — Map (db m110227) HM

Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Propinquity — 1809
On Royal Street at Johnson Street on Royal Street.
Spanish Colonial Architecture built on site of original Spanish land grant acquired by William Williams in January 1795. PrivateMap (db m109937) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — Rosedown Plantation
On State Highway 10 at Rosedown Plantation Road, on the left when traveling east on State Highway 10.
Spanish Land Grant made in 1789 to John Mills, American Revolutionary soldier. (Founder of Bayou Sara in 1790, Mills was also a leader in the West Florida Rebellion, 1810.) In 1835 Daniel Turnbull built the present home at Rosedown. Lower . . . — Map (db m87448) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — The "St. Francisville Democrat"
On Royal Street at Johnson Street, on the right when traveling west on Royal Street.
Official Journal of West Feliciana Parish since 1892 — Map (db m128902) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — The Historic West Feliciana Railroad
On Ferdinand Street (Road 1263) west of Tunica Street, on the left when traveling west.
"When it is considered that the first steam train was run by George Stephenson over the Stockton and Darlington Railway in England in September, 1825:... that Germany's first railroad opened in 1835:... and Russia did not have a practicable road . . . — Map (db m110286) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — The Myrtles
On Old U.S. 61 0.3 miles north of Rinaudo Drive, on the left when traveling north.
Home of the famed Gen. David Bradford, leader of the Whisky Rebellion. The Myrtles was built in 1796 on a Spanish Land Grant. The architecture, elaborate plaster work and lacy ironwork make this twenty room mansion one of Louisiana's most unusual . . . — Map (db m85647) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — The Republic of West Florida — 1810
On Royal Street at Prosperity Street, on the left when traveling west on Royal Street.
The Spanish fort, San Carlos, at Baton Rouge was captured in a rebellion by the citizens of the Florida Parishes, and a Republic was established under the blue flag with a white star.

St. Francisville was the capital

This independent . . . — Map (db m109953) HM

Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), St. Francisville — West Feliciana Railroad
On Ferdinand St. (State Highway 1258) west of Tunica Street, on the left when traveling west.
One of South’s earliest railroads. Ran from St. Francisville, La. to Woodville, Ms. Idea conceived in 1828 as means of transporting cotton to river. Chartered in 1831. Completed in 1842. In use in Illinois Central System until abandoned in 1978. — Map (db m86145) HM
Louisiana (West Feliciana Parish), Wakefield — Wakefield — 1834
On U.S. 61 near Wakefield Way, on the right when traveling south.
Built in 1834 by Lewis and Sarah Turnbill Stirling. Two upper stories removed in 1877 to effect partition of estate. Private — Map (db m119635) HM

19 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement