On East Hull Avenue (Tennessee Route 53) at South Main Street, on the right when traveling east on East Hull Avenue.
Born nearby; graduated from the US Military Academy in 1851, his Civil War duties included those of Provost Marshall of Nashville, later Adjt. General of Tennessee, to which he was appointed by Andrew Johnson. Promoted to Maj. Gen.; commanded the . . . — — Map (db m112186) HM
On North Murray Street at Dixie Avenue, on the right when traveling north on North Murray Street.
First National Confederate Flag • Confederate Hospital Flag
In January, 1862, after the Battle of Mill Springs, KY all the homes in Gainesboro were used as hospitals. The Gaines House is the oldest house in Gainesboro and is the only house . . . — — Map (db m112215) HM
On North Grundy Highway north of Dodson Branch Highway, on the left when traveling north.
North of this marker lies the site of Old Columbus,
once an important landing on the Cumberland
River. In the winter of 1863–1864, the war
had disastrous consequences for this river village.
Late in December 1863, Gen. Ulysses . . . — — Map (db m68344) HM
On Clover St. (Tennessee Route 96), on the left when traveling east.
The Civil War experiences of Granville, an important Cumberland River port in the nineteenth century, were similar to many rural Upper Cumberland communities. When Tennessee seceded in 1861, most residents backed the Confederacy.
Granville was . . . — — Map (db m82194) HM
On Clover Street (SR96) west of Walnut Street, on the right when traveling west.
Settled in 1799, the settlers originally called this area Beech Hill. Incorporated in 1837, the name was changed to Granville. It became a booming riverboat town that included five general stores, a bank, post office, gristmill, blacksmith shop, . . . — — Map (db m68345) HM