Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Valladolid, Yucatán, Mexico — The Southeast (Yucatan Peninsula)
 

Cenote “Sis-Há”

El Convento de Sisal a Través de la Historia / History of the Sisal Monastery

 
 
Cenote “Sis-Há” Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, January 16, 2017
1. Cenote “Sis-Há” Marker
Inscription.  El cenote Sis-Há se encuentra bajo el ex Convento de San Bernardino de Siena y representa el primer depósito natural con vestigios que son producto de uno o varios movimientos armados. Este cenote, cuyo nombre en maya significa “pozo de agua fría”, presenta cuatro bocas o accesos, una de las cuales corresponde a la noria y otra al pozo de lo que fue la cocina del Convento. Las otras dos bocas se encuentran en el exterior del edificio.

El hallazgo de fusiles, bayonetas, lanzas, refacciones de armas y un cañon en su interior, sugiere que estos pudieron haber sido arrojados entre 1847 y 1848, durante los múltiples enfrentamientos suscitados en el barrio de Sisal, de los que el vetusto conjunto monástico fue testigo.

English
Sis-Há Cenote is found underneath the former San Bernardino de Siena Monastery. It the first natural water well in which artifacts have been encountered from one or more armed uprisings. This cenote, whose name in Maya means “cold-water well”, has four “mouths,” or openings, one of which was used by the waterwheel, and the other of which was used by the monastery
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
kitchen. The other two openings are located outside the construction.

The discovery of equipment such as muskets, bayonets, spears, weapon parts and a cannon within the depths of the cenote consider probable the fact that the artifacts had been thrown inside between 1847 and 1848, during the many armed confrontations that arose in the district of Sisal, the ancient monastery structure being silent witness to these actions.
 
Erected by Instituto Cultur Valladolid, A.C.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraMan-Made FeaturesWars, Non-US. A significant historical year for this entry is 1847.
 
Location. 20° 41.157′ N, 88° 12.576′ W. Marker is in Valladolid, Yucatán. Marker can be reached from Calle 49. The marker is on the grounds of the Convent of San Bernardino de Siena. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Valladolid YU 97780, Mexico. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Waterwheel (within shouting distance of this marker); Convent of San Bernardino de Siena (Saint Berardine of Siena) (within shouting distance of this marker); Sisal Neighborhood (within shouting distance of this marker); Mayan House (about 150 meters away, measured in a direct line); Road of the Friars
Cenote “Sis-Há” Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, January 16, 2017
2. Cenote “Sis-Há” Marker
The marker can be seen to the right in this view, with the "noria" or waterwheel above the cenote to the left in the background.
(approx. 0.6 kilometers away); The Valladolid Artisans' Market (approx. 0.8 kilometers away); The Crime of the Mayors (approx. 0.9 kilometers away); House of Governor Francisco Canton Rosado (approx. 0.9 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Valladolid.
 
Weapons and other artifacts recovered from the cenote. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, January 16, 2017
3. Weapons and other artifacts recovered from the cenote.
As the marker mentions, many artifacts have been recovered from the cenote. The monastery museum includes a small display of some of the rifles and other artifacts that were found.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 5, 2017. It was originally submitted on March 5, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. This page has been viewed 435 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 5, 2017, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=101733

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024