Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Loretto in Lawrence County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Methodist Church and Masonic Lodge 1908

 
 
Methodist Church and Masonic Lodge 1908 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, March 7, 2017
1. Methodist Church and Masonic Lodge 1908 Marker
Inscription.  
An agreement was made with the Masons to build and share the two-story wood clapboard building. Different protestant denominations contributed labor, materials, and money. The graveyard, donated in 1908, became Loretto Cemetery after the church was relocated in 1954. The 1908 church was located here, next to the original site of Glen’s Stand, built pre-1812 at the present day north corner of 2nd Avenue (Andrew Jackson’s Military Road) at Mill Creek Drive. The village of Glen Rock developed at Glen’s Stand on the gentle rise above the spring and creek where Glen Rock Cemetery was located.

The western frontier of America was created as the Mississippi Territory in 1798. This land was the sovereign tribal lands of the Cherokee and Chickasaw Nations prior to the Treaties of 1816. Chief Doublehead of the Chickamauga Cherokee improved an ancient buffalo trail to become Doublehead Trace leading from his villages at the Shoals on the Tennessee River through Lawrence and Maury counties TN to the French Lick (Nashville), where he and his warriors waged war on the Cumberland River settlements, 1775-1795.

Doublehead met with
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
President George Washington 1794. He became a wealthy landlord for settlers and business owners on Bluewater Creek, south of Glen Rock. The Chickasaw Nation held claim to Doublehead’s land and President Thomas Jefferson agreed that the United States Army would remove the intruders by force in 1809 and 1811. Doublehead was assassinated by Cherokee leaders 1807.

Glen Rock prospered after the completion of Jackson’s Military Road in 1820, cutting 200 miles off the previous journey by stage from Nashville to New Orleans made on the Natchez Trace. The Military Road followed parts of Doublehead Trace through Glen Rock. In 1822, mail riders followed parts the new Military Road. The last stagecoach ran in 1849. Glen Rock Post Office was established in 1852. Andrew Jackson joined horse owners from AL, MS, and KY at the race track located near the present day South Lawrence Elementary School on the Old Military Road.

During the Civil War in 1864, General John Bell Hood’s Army of Tennessee of about 30,000 crossed the Tennessee River at Florence, AL. One of three columns of war-torn soldiers, marching to the bitter, winter battles in Franklin and Nashville followed Jackson’s Military Road to Glen Rock where they camped around Glen’s Stand.
 
Erected 2016.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists:
Methodist Church and Masonic Lodge 1908 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, March 7, 2017
2. Methodist Church and Masonic Lodge 1908 Marker
Cemeteries & Burial SitesFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsMan-Made FeaturesSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #07 Andrew Jackson series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1908.
 
Location. 35° 4.326′ N, 87° 26.825′ W. Marker is in Loretto, Tennessee, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of 2nd Avenue South and Millcreek Drive, on the right when traveling south on 2nd Avenue South. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 406 2nd Ave S, Loretto TN 38469, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Glen's Stand at Glen Rock (within shouting distance of this marker); Glenrock Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Oldest House in Loretto (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Augustin Lumber Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Flour Mill (approx. ¼ mile away); First Factory (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of First Post Office
Methodist Church and Masonic Lodge 1908 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, March 15, 2020
3. Methodist Church and Masonic Lodge 1908 Marker
(approx. 0.3 miles away); Loretto High School (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Loretto.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 7, 2017, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 466 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 7, 2017, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA.   3. submitted on March 17, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=101814

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024