Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pascagoula in Jackson County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Camp Twiggs and the Military Asylum 1849-1855

 
 
Camp Twiggs and the Military Asylum 1849-1855 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, March 22, 2017
1. Camp Twiggs and the Military Asylum 1849-1855 Marker
Inscription.  Camp Twiggs was named in honor of Army General David E. Twiggs, the commanding general of the Western Division, the geographical area of the southeast U.S. in 1849. Twiggs replaced Zachary Taylor when Taylor was elected President in November, 1848. The headquarters of this command was in Baton Rouge, but the commander purchased a home in Pascagoula and often brought his headquarters staff and a guard for extended stays. Camp Twiggs was established one quarter mile north on basically the same site as the 1848 Camp Jefferson Davis. However, while Camp Davis was used as a disembarkation and reorganization point for 2000 U.S. regular Army soldiers from Mexico Camp Twiggs was only used by a maximum of 80 soldiers at any one time. The camp was primarily tents in a grove of trees, but a couple of open buildings were constructed.

Every September to May between the years 1849 and 1855, the camp was garrisoned by a company of infantry or artillery soldiers rotating out of the brick coastal forts between New Orleans and Pensacola notably Forts Barrancas, Pickens, Pike, and Macomb. In 1849 the soldiers at this post left for Tampa Bay for
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the Third Seminole War just when the Round Island Affair began While the camp was in use in 1849-1855, 20 Soldiers died and another 20 deserted.

In 1851 an Act of Congress designated the location as one of the first three Military Asylums to be established in the country and was funded by fees collected from officers and soldiers. The real estate was formally purchased from Jacob Baptiste and the buildings were totally refurbished for use as a convalescent facility for invalid soldiers on furlough or recovering from wounds. However, soldiers rarely took advantage of the benefit of the Asylum, and it never had more than 20 patients. It was closed in 1855 and the patients re-assigned to the main Asylum in Washington, DC. The last manager of the Asylum was Lieutenant Charles G. Merchant, 8th Infantry, West Point Class of 1843. He died at the Asylum in September, 1855, due to complications of wounds received during Indian fights in Texas in 1850. He is the only known commissioned officer to perish in the vicinity of Pascagoula 1848-1855.

Legacy: The Military Asylum was the direct forerunner of Old Soldiers Home. Many soldiers that perished at Camp Davis and Camp Twiggs, and later during the Civil War, were buried in the adjacent ground that became known as the "Asylum Lot" on survey plots. The property was sold by the government in 1907.


 
Erected
Camp Twiggs and the Military Asylum 1849-1855 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, March 22, 2017
2. Camp Twiggs and the Military Asylum 1849-1855 Marker
2012 by Roger B. Hansen and the Jackson County Historical and Genealogical Society.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansNotable PlacesScience & MedicineWars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #12 Zachary Taylor series list. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1848.
 
Location. 30° 20.574′ N, 88° 31.78′ W. Marker is in Pascagoula, Mississippi, in Jackson County. Marker is on Beach Boulevard, 0.1 miles east of Westwood Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3117 Beach Boulevard, Pascagoula MS 39567, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Lawson – Military Hospital on Greenwood Island – 1848 (a few steps from this marker); The Longfellow House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Camp Jefferson Davis - Soldiers Return From The Mexican War - 1848 (approx. 0.2 miles away); President Zachary Taylor's Summer Home Site (approx. 0.3 miles away); Camp Jefferson Davis (approx. 0.3 miles away); Louisiana Native Guard Attacks Pascagoula (approx. 0.3 miles away); Clark House (approx. one mile away); St. Peter Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pascagoula.
 
Camp Twiggs marker along the Pascagoula Promenade. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, March 22, 2017
3. Camp Twiggs marker along the Pascagoula Promenade.
View of Camp Jefferson Davis area and Camp Twigg. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, March 22, 2017
4. View of Camp Jefferson Davis area and Camp Twigg.
General David Emanuel Twiggs image. Click for full size.
Public Domain
5. General David Emanuel Twiggs
General Twiggs was a soldier during the War of 1812 and the Mexican-American War and a general of the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War. He was the oldest Confederate general in the Civil War.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 28, 2017. It was originally submitted on March 28, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 371 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 28, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=102359

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024