Aberdeen in Monroe County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Erected 1949 by Mississippi Historical Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
Location. 33° 49.527′ N, 88° 33.038′ W. Marker is in Aberdeen, Mississippi, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of West Commerce Street (Mississippi Route 145) and Franklin Street, on the right when traveling west on West Commerce Street. Located in the median strip. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 518 West Commerce Street, Aberdeen MS 39730, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dr. W. A. Evans (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. John's Episcopal Church (about 800 feet away); Judge Eugene O. SykesReuben Davis (approx. 0.3 miles away); Aberdeen Mississippi Blues (approx. 0.4 miles away); DeSoto Expedition (approx. 0.6 miles away); Brigadier General John Gregg (approx. 1.2 miles away); Gulf Ordnance Plant (approx. 6.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Aberdeen.
Regarding Aberdeen. Aberdeen was founded in 1835 by Robert Gordon, a Scotsman who recognized the potential of the site located on a hill next to the Tombigbee River. It became the second largest city in Mississippi, as well as the largest port on the river.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on the City of Aberdeen. (Submitted on April 10, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2017. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 224 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 10, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.