Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Savannah in Hardin County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Turbine

A Cog in the Wheel

 
 
The Turbine Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, September 27, 2014
1. The Turbine Marker
Inscription.  Imagine this 125-ton carbon-steel turbine spinning at 81.8 revolutions per minute. Picture more than 99.491 gallons of water per second rushing through the intake to spin its heavy blades, which generate 36 megawatts of electricity. Measuring over 24 feet wide and nearly 13 feet tall, this Kaplan adjustable-blade turbine, the fourth to be installed at Pickwick Dam, began commercial operation in 1942. Although it's huge, this turbine plays only a small role in TVA's balanced river system. Hydroelectirc Dam
Power Lines
River
Powerhouse
Generator
Turbine
Intake
Reservoir
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EnvironmentMan-Made FeaturesWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1942.
 
Location. 35° 4.389′ N, 88° 15.042′ W. Marker is in Savannah, Tennessee, in Hardin County. Marker is on Power Lane. Marker is located at Pickwick Dam Next to the Power House. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 350 Power Ln, Savannah TN 38372, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Welcome
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Shiloh (approx. 5.2 miles away); 54th Ohio Infantry (approx. 5.2 miles away); Chalmers' Brigade (approx. 5.3 miles away); 55th Illinois Infantry (approx. 5.6 miles away); a different marker also named Chalmers' Brigade (approx. 5.6 miles away); Gage's Alabama Battery (approx. 5.6 miles away); a different marker also named 55th Illinois Infantry (approx. 5.6 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Kaplan turbine. The Kaplan turbine was an evolution of the Francis turbine. Its invention allowed efficient power production in low-head applications that was not possible with Francis turbines. The head ranges from 10–70 metres and the output from 5 to 200 MW. Runner diameters are between 2 and 11 metres. Turbines rotate at a constant rate, which varies from facility to facility. That rate ranges from as low as 69.2 rpm (Bonneville North Powerhouse, Washington U.S.) to 429 rpm. The Kaplan turbine installation believed to generate the most power from its nominal head of 34.65 m is as of 2013 the Tocoma Dam Power Plant (Venezuela) Kaplan turbine generating 230 MW (Turbine capacity,
The Turbine Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Sandra Hughes, September 27, 2014
2. The Turbine Marker
257MVA for generator) with each of ten 8.6 m diameter runners. (Submitted on September 15, 2017, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 9, 2018. It was originally submitted on September 15, 2017, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 231 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 15, 2017, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=108340

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 16, 2024