Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Cohoes in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

View of Van Schaick Island

 
 
View of Van Schaick Island Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 20, 2018
1. View of Van Schaick Island Marker
Inscription.  

You are looking at the northern tip of Van Schaick Island. The Hudson River flows to the east, and the third and fourth branches of the Mohawk River flow around the rest of this rocky island.

Dutch merchants Philip Pietersen Schuyler and Goosen Gerritsen van Schaick purchased Van Schaick Island and what is now called Peebles Island in 1664 from the Indians to prevent the British from controlling the trade route north. In the 18th century, a trail used by English armies in attacks on French Canada during the French and Indian War crossed both islands. During the Revolutionary War, soldiers in the American army camped on Peeble and Van Schaick Islands, calling the area a "barren wilderness."

The thirty-seven acres at the north end of Van Schaick Island are part of Peebles Island State Park, including the former Matton Shipyard, where barges and tugboats were built and boats that traveled the Erie and Champlain Canals were repaired.

[Image captions, from left to right, read]
• Philip Pietersen Schuyler
This portrait is believed to be of Philip Pietersen Schuyler (1628-1683).

• This 1758 map

View of Van Schaick Island Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 20, 2018
2. View of Van Schaick Island Marker
shows Green Island, Van Schaick Island with the Van Schaick house, and Peebles Island.

• Van Schaick House
The house was built by the Van Schaicks about 1735 and served as headquarters for the Continental Army in August 1777. Private tours of the Historic Van Schaick Mansion are available. For information, call 235-2699.

• Matton Shipyard
Aerial view of Matton Shipyard, 1949, with oil transfer barge.
 
Erected by New York State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraParks & Recreational AreasSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels.
 
Location. 42° 47.035′ N, 73° 40.834′ W. Marker is in Cohoes, New York, in Albany County. Marker is on Delaware Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Marker is in Peebles Island State Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Delaware Avenue, Cohoes NY 12047, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cluett, Peabody & Company (within shouting distance of this marker); An Urban Refuge (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Native American & 17th-century History of Peebles Island (about 400 feet away); Peebles Island in the 18th-20th Centuries

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(about 400 feet away); Water Ford (about 400 feet away); Breastworks (about 400 feet away); Waterford (approx. ¼ mile away); The Waterways that Shaped a Nation (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cohoes.
 
Also see . . .
1. Van Schaick Island at Wikipedia. (Submitted on March 24, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Peebles Island State Park. (Submitted on March 24, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 24, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 129 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 24, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 13, 2020