Historical District in Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
City of Alexandria Est. 1749
Although Virginia was colonized in 1607, settlement northward moved slowly and Alexandria was not established until 1749. By 1753, Alexandria had a "chapel of ease" to provide a place of worship for residents closer than the main Anglican church seven miles west. In 1765, a new parish in northern Virginia was created, and the inadequate buildings at Falls Church and Alexandria were replaced. Two new churches, designed by James Wren, were built in each town from one set of plans, and completed just before the Revolutionary War. After the war, government support of religious institutions ended but Alexandria's Christ Church, located one block north, prospered with the support of area residents like George Washington and the clerical leadership of David Griffith, Bryan Fairfax, and William Meade. On April 21, 1861, after resigning his commission in the United States Army, Robert E.
During the Civil War, when the Union Army occupied Alexandria, it seized many churches for use as hospitals or stables. Fortunately, as George Washington's place of worship, Christ Church was largely preserved with its interior intact. After the war ended, in 1869, a Mother's Mission to assist poor women in the area was established, and three years later, parishioner Sallie Stuart led efforts to create missions of the newly formed National Women's Auxiliary to the Board of Missions throughout Alexandria.
Throughout our nation's history, Christ Church has been visited by many American Presidents and world leaders. On January 1, 1942, just weeks after the attack on Pearl Harbor, Franklin Roosevelt and Winston Churchill visited the church to commemorate the World Day of Prayer for Peace. The church is open for worship and public tours.
Erected by City of Alexandria.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Peace • War, US Civil • Women. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, The City of Alexandria series list.
Location. 38° 48.316′ N, 77° 2.88′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 725 King Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. Bernard Stier, O.D. (1930-2005) (within shouting distance of this marker); The Alexandria Lyceum (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington Memorial Parkway (within shouting distance of this marker); Barrett Library / Black History Museum (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lee-Fendall House (about 300 feet away); Timberman Brothers (about 300 feet away); Welcome to Christ Church (about 400 feet away); Site of Alexandria's First Sugar Refinery (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Historical District.
Also see . . . Christ Church. (Submitted on April 2, 2018.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 31, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 31, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.