the man from k̓ašxəʼkšix returned with eels to feed his people
Since time immemorial, people have the area of Lake Oswego. The city encompasses the traditional land of the Clow-we-wal-la Band of Tum-water Indians of Willamette Falls, the Clackamas Chinook from the east side of the Willamette River, and the Tualitin Kalapuya from the Northern Willamette Valley.
The Willamette Valley Treaty of 1855, resulted in the removal of these people to the Grande Ronde Indian Reservation. The descendants of these people are members of The Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde Community of Oregon, located an hour and half west of Lake Oswego in the town of Grande Ronde, Oregon.
Victoria Howard was a Molalla/Clackamas woman who was born at Grand Ronde in 1865. She became an invaluable source of information
Erected by Chachalu Tribal Museum and Cultural Center, City of Lake Oswego.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Anthropology & Archaeology • Arts, Letters, Music • Native Americans • Women.
Location. 45° 24.615′ N, 122° 39.595′ W. Marker is in Lake Oswego, Oregon, in Clackamas County. Marker can be reached from Old River Road south of Furnace Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lake Oswego OR 97034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First People (within shouting distance of this marker); Oswego Landing (within shouting distance of this marker); Lower Oswego Creek Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Salamander (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Green Street (about 500 feet away); Old Town (approx. 0.2 miles away); Iron Company Worker's Cottage (approx. ¼ mile away); George Rogers House - 1929 (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake Oswego.
More about this marker. The marker is found in George Rogers Park, at the bottom of the stairway that leads to the landing and Willamette River.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 11, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 100 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 11, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.